Chapter 13: Ordeal part I

A/N: Just a quick heads up, this chapter and the next will consist only of Sinbad and his crew as they survived the becalmed seas and there's only eight chapters of this story left, than after that? I need a break from writing, because it is mentally exhausting and I feel like I'll go insane if I don't take a break mentally. Once I get a good break? I'm getting right into Dragon Conquerer and Eternal Blue Valkyrie. Anyways, onwards to the chapter!

(Sinbad's pov)

"How bad is it love?"

Marina, Kale and myself entered my captains quarters and I turned my head to my woman and answered her. "Since we've been becalmed, our rate of drift has suggested we had a good chance of making landfall on one of these islands..." Once we neared my desk, I showed both my woman and quarter master a map that showed several chains of islands. "...unfortunately because of our rate of speed? It would take approximately a week to ten days time to reach any of those islands. Based on those readings today and yesterday, however, I would say that estimated time table is far too optimistic." I let out a heavy sigh and looked between Marina and Kale and shook my head. "We'll have to cut the mens rations again.Silence filled my quarters for a good eight seconds before Kale spoke. "I agree." He then turned to me and added. "Our stores are dwindling faster than we thought..."

Taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of my desk, Kale continued. "Fresh water is just about gone and the food stores have been empty for about three days now. And the haul from the eels nets isn't keeping pace." Turning to Marina, Kale nodded at her. "Marina and I will inform the crew—"

"No."

I interrupted, causing both Marina and Kale to share a confused look, they then turned back to me for explanation. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I exhaled out. "The decreases in rations is getting more dire by the day. At a certain point if we're all weakened to the point where none of us can't hoist a single sail? We're all dead." 

"Then what do you suggest?" Marina asked, licking my dry lips, I look into my woman's eyes and answer. "I suggest we draw up two lists. One with the names of the men critical to sailing the Chimera once the wind returns, and second the men who aren't." Marina then gave me a disbelieving and almost... disgusted look. "You think we should feed some of the men more than others?" She asked in utter disbelief.

"No. I think we should feed some of the men and not the others." I corrected, Marina shook her head slowly at my words and turned to Kale, who too didn't approve of this suggestion of mine. "The survival of the greatest number of men on this crew rests entirely on our ability to maneuver this ship to land." I said firmly, approaching Marina, I kneel before her and gently cup her cheeks so that she could look into my eyes. "Any food diverted away from the men necessary to that end only increases our chance that everyone on board this ship dies."

Tears formed in Marina's eyes and she slapped my hands away before speaking firmly as well. "You can't divide the men like that Sinbad! Every single one of those men and women are friends! Brethren beneath the black! They'll mutiny if they learn you're planning this!"

"Most of the men who aren't given rations will survive in a weakened state—"

"Most of them!!"

Marina hissed out as she then scoffed and shrugged. "Why not just take the second list and push those you deem as nonessential to feed over the side right now? Won't that save us a lot of trouble?"

"Marina."

Said woman turns to Kale, my quarter master then murmurs. "Lower your voice, if the men hear you and Sinbad arguing? They might just lose whatever faith they have left that we have any idea what we're doing here." I run a hand through my hair and curse under my breath, we've been becalmed for almost twelve days now and the men are losing their grip, due to dehydration, as well as hunger. What will be decided in this room is paramount to our survival and we cannot bicker amongst ourselves; creating unnecessary rifts among us, especially in a life threatening situation like this.