Chapter Thirty Three

7 months later

Mahkailin was in his cell doing push-ups something he's been doing to get his mind off things while in here. His cousin that was in the same unit as him was transferred to another jail after his week trial and was sentenced to 33 years. Mahkailin turn 18 in a week and he's being moved to adult prison in a few hours. He couldn't sleep though. He never sleeps. The nightmares were still happening. His time in here didn't help do nothing but get more worse.

He stopped doing the push-ups and sat on his bed. His mind drifted off to his family. His father and mother has only answered his calls two times since he been doing his time. Said they don't have the money for his calls. He knew they didn't but he just wanted to hear his parents voice. Jai voice. Who was now in a wheel chair because of how bad the cancer has gotten. But doctors have now found a way to get the tumor to shrink and removed. Since Hassan added on to the rest that Mahkailin and his parents had.

From the pictures Hassan shown him. His heart was broke. Jai did not look like Jai. He was in a wheelchair and skinner than usual. He just looked ill. He was relieved that they came up with the money before it was too late.

Jai surgery was happening soon. That's all Mahkailin could think about. My little brother don't have to suffer no more. He thought about how things would have been back at school. He would be a senior now and on the basketball team working on getting scouts to notice him. So he fulfill his dream. A huge part of him felt lost. All his life he only knew basketball now he know that his future doesn't hold that anymore he don't know what to do in life now when he get out.

His mind drifted off to Kiarah. A light smile tugged at his lips. He couldn't wait to get out to spend time with her. He missed her so so much. All he does is think about their time together at school. He knew things probably wouldn't be the same after the things he pulled while he was in here. He told Kiarah that she should focus on school and not wait on him because he wasn't good for her.

He thinks about what he's gonna do when he get out. How he needed everything to play out. He sat in the dark staring into the darkness of his cell pulling the sorry excuse for a blanket up on him more.

*flashback*

"I miss you Kai." Kiarah said to him through the phone with a sad face that she was trying to hide.

"I miss you too mamas." He said back softly. "I called because I gotta tell you sumn."

"Which is?" She questioned.

"You shouldn't be with me Kiarah."

"Mahkailin no. Not this again." She said which made him take a deep breath. "It's the truth Kiarah. You deserve better than me. Someone who got sum going for theirselves. Not someone weighing you down."

"Mahkailin you sound retarded. How are weighing ME down?!" she said.

"You know how. You know staying out here for college to be by me knowing you wanted to go to Howard. I ain't nothing but a jail bird you should want more than that."

"Kai stop! Stop always trying to make decisions for me! Like you know what's best for me!"

"I fucking do Kiarah! I care about you. I care about your future and the whole nine. I ain't shit you need to just fucking listen to me for on-