Chapter 2

Jacob

School didn't start until eight but my dad had us up at six to do chores. That's how it worked on a horse ranch in Colorado. You're up with the sun no matter how tired you are.

All I could think about as I mucked stalls was how hot it was. I pulled off my hat and used it to create a breeze. My blonde hair was sticking to my forehead.

I had an unfair advantage when it came to girls. I was tall, muscular, had blue eyes and was the quarterback of the football team. It made school a breeze since I was already guaranteed a full scholarship to the University of Colorado.

My little sister, Maddie, was next to me. She was also pretty.

Maddie had long, brown hair and my dad's blue eyes. She was one of the most popular girls in school and was a freshman in high school, even though she was only 14.

My dad walked into the barn to check on our progress. He had been doing his own chores in the barn.

Dad walked up next to us and glanced at the piles we had made. "Okay," he stated. "You two are good. You have an hour before school starts. Jacob, take a shower. You smell like the sewer."

I laughed but walked out of the stables.

***

School was a breeze just like I predicted. Now I was waiting outside the school for my siter standing by my red truck.

My girlfriend of four years walked up to me and pulled me into a kiss. Rachel and I met just like all the other stereotype relationships do. She was a cheerleader and I was a football player.

I honestly didn't like her as a person that much but she was hot and willing to have sex. And, in my defense, I didn't think she liked me as a person either.

Rachel and I were making out when Maddie walked up to us. "Get off my brother," she demanded, her hand on her hip. She hated Rachel.

My girlfriend just rolled her eyes and walked away, shouting that she'd call me later. I frowned at my sister but didn't say anything. We got in the car.

I turned on the radio to my favorite country station. Maddie's favorite song was on. She didn't start singing. "Hey," I said, bumping her arm, "what's wrong?"

Maddie's frown deepened but she didn't say anything. So I didn't. I knew my sister - if you ignored her long enough she'd talk. A few seconds later the words started to spew out of her mouth. "My teacher is making me do this stupid penpal thing. We have to do it all year and it's so stupid."

I cocked my head. This sounded interesting. I asked Maddie to tell me about it and she did. "I have an idea Mads. I'll do it with you," I offered. Even if she said no, I'd still do it. It sounded cool.

Maddie shrugged but I could tell that she liked the idea. "Ask your teacher to allow you in the program."

I nodded and smiled. This was cool. I could talk to anyone in the country. Maddie would love this project once she got into it. Even though I was driving, I emailed my language teacher and he gave me the access code. Now I'd be able to make an account.

I loved the idea that I'd be able to talk to somebody from somewhere else. When they'd first meet me they would just be friends with me because I wore a letter jacket and could throw a football. Even though I liked being popular, it was exhausting having to play the football player stereotype all the time. Hopefully with this person I wouldn't have to.

***

It was seven thirty at night when I was finished with all my chores and could set up my account.

When I got to the website I created my personal profile.

Name: Jacob Bentley. Age: 18. State/city lived in: Durango, Colorado. Username:

I gave a quick thought to this then typed R2-D2. Yep, I was a Star Wars nerd now.

The last question was about what state to choose. It felt like this question was really important. I closed my eyes and selected a random place on the map.

New York, New York. I smiled. That sounded promising.

I clicked create and my email instantly blinged. It read: You have been matched with 17 year old Cinder from New York City. Click here to write to her.

I clicked the button and started my first email. I wrote:

Dear Cinder,

I'm R2-D2 from Durango, Colorado. It's a small ranching town in Colorado. My dad owns a horse ranch and forces my sister and I to do work on it. Next year I'll be going to the University of Colorado. Tell me a little about yourself.

R2-D2

I clicked send.