Chapter 23

Ella

"You should text Jacob again," Becca said. I was studying in the common room at the dorm. Becca was attempting to finish a project but failing. She was enjoying throwing little pieces of paper at me.

"Are you talking about Jacob my boyfriend or Jacob the penpal person?" I flipped my textbook page, ready to start a new page of notes.

Becca moved from her side of the table. "Who do you think. Look I love you boyfriend Jacob and if you hurt him I will hurt you. But aren't you the least bit curious about this other Jacob?"

I looked up from my book. "Becca, of course I am. Penpal Jacob was the only thing that got me through high school."

Becca grabbed my phone and began typing in another message to penpal Jacob. I wasn't about to stop her. I wanted to know who Jacob was but in the end I would be fine if I never did.

As if the universe heard me, two arms wrapped around my shoulders and I felt somebody's chin on the top of my head. I looked up and saw my boyfriend. "Hi," I said smiling.

"Hi," Jacob responded. He quickly pecked my cheek before sitting down next to me.

"Sent," Becca said as she tapped my phone and then set it down in front of me. Almost at the same moment Jacob's phone went off.

He glanced down before moving his chair closer to mine and wrapping his arm around me. I leaned into him but glanced at him suspiciously. "Who was that?" I asked.

Jacob shook his head and put his hand on his face, covering his mouth. After years of watching Dr. Phil I knew that covering your face was a sign of lying. "It was just an email."

I let out a breath and frowned. "Okay." 

Jacob

Cinder,

I really don't like being an asshole so stop making me be one. I have no interest in meeting up with you so please stop messaging me.

R2-D2

I pulled off my shirt as I prepared to get into bed. Tossing it into the growing heap on the floor, I turned to Ella. "What movie do you wanna watch?" I asked as I climbed into the bed next to her. She was spending the night once again.

I wrapped my arm around her as she leaned into me. This felt so nice and natural. Like we'd been doing this for years instead of just a few months.

"We should watch something old. Maybe Back to the Future?"

I nodded, liking the idea. Then I grabbed the remote from my nightstand and clicked on the TV. I began to search for the movie. Ella checked her phone. She frowned, rolled her eyes and then threw her phone on the bed. "You okay?"

Ella sighed and looked at the ceiling. Then she looked back at me. "Did I ever tell you about my high school penpal?"

I tensed up at the idea of hearing about our relationship without her knowing who I really was. So I swallowed hard. Then I nodded, unable to speak.

"His name was Jacob. Ironic right. We were best friends. Then he cut me off. Becca suggested that I try and get in touch with him. Now he's acting like an ass."

I opened my mouth but really wanted to hide away from this. "He probably has a really good reason for not wanting to get in touch."

Ella laughed. "Sure. But I think that it's that he's embarrassed of me. It's fine when it's just words on a screen but in person - nope."

"Ella, I doubt that."

She rolled her eyes but leaned into me more, putting her head on my chest. She pulled the covers up to her chin and settled in to watch the movie.