Chapter 6

Ella

The first thing I felt in the morning was a pounding headache. As I sat up from the seat I'd been sleeping on, I took in my surroundings.

I was in a car. It was close to 10. Nobody was around. I didn't have a shirt on.

I jumped as my brain processed that I, Ella West, wasn't wearing a shirt. I then looked to my left and saw Ben - who was asleep in the driver's seat - wearing jeans, which were unzipped. With that everything came swirling back.

The party. Me getting drunk. Mike leaving. And me. Losing my virginity in a car with a boy I barely know.

I glanced around the car and found my shirt in the backseat along with my phone on the floor. Then I opened the car door and stepped outside. I needed fresh air. After finding a rock about ten feet away, I sat down and buried my head in my face. I started to cry.

After a good five minutes I reached for my phone to call someone. They picked up on the first ring. "Dad?" I asked, my voice high and squeaky. "Can you come pick me up."

Jacob

I woke up at nine with an alert from a new message. Rachel moved on the bed next to me. Last night she'd snuck in. I felt a little guilty about the surge of happiness I felt when I read Ella's name.

Jacob,

Something really big happened last night. I really want to tell you cause you've become my best friend. It's really personal. Do you want to know because it'll mark that we are in much deeper territory than just penpals.

Ella

I read that message over and over again. I'd believed that Ella was my friend since our first message, but I understood what she was saying. We'd stayed at surface level conversations. And by the tone of her words, this was much deeper than surface level.

I looked over at my girlfriend and felt a surge of guilt. I felt like I was in a relationship with Ella. She was important to me in a way Rachel could never be. I shrugged. It wasn't cheating if it was only in your head, I told myself.

Ella,

You can tell me. You've also became my best friend. In school I may be popular but really don't have many friends that I can confide in. My girlfriend doesn't even know my middle name. It's Charles if you were wondering - after my dad.

Jacob

I assumed that it would take Ella a few minutes to answer so I walked down to the bathroom that Maddie and I shared. Half way through brushing my teeth I heard my phone bing.

I ran a little too quickly to my room. Once I got there I saw my phone in Rachel's hand. "Why does this girl keep texting you?" The way Rachel looked at me gave a warning. She thought I was cheating.

"I told you. It's for a project." I walked over to the bed and sat next to my girlfriend. Then I started to rub her back. "I promise. There is nothing going on."

Rachel shrugged me off. "Then show me what she wrote."

I stood up and started to get dressed in jeans and a white t-shirt. "Rach, I"m sorry. I can't do that. It's private."

Rachel stood up and threw on her clothes from yesterday. Then she shook her head at me, a look of disappointment on her face. Then she laughed. "Of course you can't." As she was walking out of my room, she added, "Asshole."

I honestly didn't feel like running after her. I waited a few seconds before following her. By then her car was pulling out of the driveway. I had to make it seem like I'd made an effort. Once I was certain I did, I walked back inside before running up the stairs to grab my phone.

Jacob,

I went to my first high school party last night. My brother wanted to come to "protect" me. Instead I got drunk and he left. I woke up this morning in my boyfriend's car. Appearently we had sex. I'm kinda mad at my brother because he left. But I didn't even want him to come. And my brother's normally the one I'd talk to about this. Clearly I can't do that. Do you think I should break up with Ben?

Ella