Chapter 27

Ella

 I had all my outfits laid out on my bed. They were all normal, everyday outfits. They were all jeans and looked nice but they just didn't seem right. But what was right? If I showed up in jeans and a t-shirt they might find me disrespectful. But if I showed up in a dress they'd think I was snobby. I sat on the bed and had a minor freakout.

I do not understand why I agreed to do this. As if the universe read my mind, my guardian angel walked into our dorm. "Becca!"

Becca waited for a second before responding. She unzipped her suitcase and threw in a textbook. "Yes?" she asked.

"Have you ever met somebody's parents? Are these outfits fine?"

Becca waved me off. "Ella they're farmers not the president and first lady - you'll be fine."

I frowned but couldn't fret anymore. Jacob had sent a text telling me that he was on his way. I quickly threw everything I owned in a suitcase.

***

The bus ride to his house was 7 hours long. I ended up falling asleep on Jacob's shoulder. It amazed me how natural this felt. It was like we'd traveled back to his house countless times together.

It was about eight when we reached his house. The sun was just setting and there was a bite in the air outside. The ranch spread out around us. The place was just like you'd imagine it. It screamed Colorado. Places like this were what made me want to come to this state. "It's beautiful," I mumbled, thinking Jacob couldn't hear me.

But, of course, he did. Jake wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close to him. I nuzzled into his shoulder.

I looked at the garage that was connected to his house. There were three cars parked in it. Everyone was at his house. I felt my heartbeat rise and my throat go dry. "Hey look," Jacob said happily, "there's my old car."

I looked at where he was pointing. I laughed. It was more out of nervousness. "Of course you had a rusted pickup."

Jacob rolled his eyes. Then, in a fake accent, he said, "Well I am a good ol' country boy."

I laughed again. This one was real. "Yee haw," I added.

Jacob quickly leaned down and kissed me before grabbing my hand. "You ready for this?" he asked.

I smiled. "Not even a little bit."

As Jacob led me into the house in which he was raised, I tried to memorize every piece of it. From the squeaky step on the front porch to the wood that surrounded the whole house. Jacob grabbed the screen door before opening up the front door. Right as that door opened I smelled something amazing. I also received a bright view of Jacob's home life.

We walked inside. I was trying to hide behind my 6 foot boyfriend. Jacob's mom was making dinner. His dad and sister were doing what I think was homework. There were two babies in a playpen.

The door shutting was what made everyone notice us. Jacob's mom was the first to react. "Oh, Jacob, you're here," she said. Then she pulled him into a hug which ended with a kiss on his cheek.

"Where's that girl of yours?" Jacob's dad asked, eyeing the room suspiciously.

Jacob turned around and dragged me out from behind him. I tried to disappear. "Everyone this is Ella."

Jacob's mom smiled. "Ella, we've heard so much about you."
I brushed my hair behind my ear. "Um, thanks. I think."

"Ella!" I heard a scream. Then I got barreled into. When I finally got my sight back I realized Maddie was hugging me. I hugged her back. "Did you miss me?"