Chapter 10

Jacob

I chuckled to myself as I read Ella's message about what happened with her boyfriend last night. Even though I was happy that Ella was happy, I couldn't shake the feeling that I just didn't like this guy. He didn't seem good enough for her.

Maddie came downstairs and went straight to the fridge. I laughed out loud as I read the part about Ella's brother walking in on her.

"Why do you look so happy?" Maddie asked as she shut the fridge and opened a can of Diet Coke. She strutted over to me, a smirk playing on her face.

I wave my hand away dismissively as I shook my head. "It's just something Ella's telling me," I stated.

My sister pulled the chair that was directly across from me out and sat down. "So you and Ella are pretty good friends?" I nodded. "And you seem happy when you talk to her. A lot happier than when you talk with Rachel."

I frowned and glanced up at her. "What are you hinting at?" I asked. Maddie's smirk grew. I knew this was gonna turn into her trying to get me to break up with Rachel again.

She shrugged before leaning forward, showing that she was really excited. "Jake, can't you see what's going on? You like Ella."

A laugh bubbled up from my throat. "What?" I asked. I could feel my face becoming hot from blushing. I was not supposed to be blushing.

Maddie burst out laughing. "You do like her. You're blushing like mad right now. I haven't seen you blush in years."

My eyes turned wide as I registered what she said. She was right. The last time I blushed was in seventh grade when I had my first crush. Did I like Ella?

It would explain why I smiled so wide when I'd see her name on my phone. It'd explain why I didn't like her boyfriend. Maybe Rachel was on to something when she got mad at me for texting her.

But how could I possibly like somebody that I've never truly met. For all I know Ella could be a fifty year old pregnant housewife.

I turned to look at my sister. She smiled. "Looks like the player finally met his match," she stated. "Ella's either gonna be the one. Or the one that got away. So what are you gonna do?"

I shrugged, wishing this conversation had never happened. How was I going to keep talking to Ella. Hearing her talk about her boyfriend would kill me now. I thought I didn't like him before. "I can't do anything. She's 2,000 miles away."

As I stared off at nothing in shock I heard the front door open and close. I could hear the sounds of my parents' quietly talking, as if they didn't want to be heard.

I realized that they had just come home from my mom's first doctor's appointment for the baby. Maddie must have realized as well because she jumped up and tried to scurry away.

"Maddie stay right there," Dad warned as he walked into the kitchen.

Mom followed my father in. She had her hands on her stomach and she looked like she was going to vomit. Which she probably was going to, morning sickness and all. She was now three months pregnant.

Dad led her to a chair. She seemed in shock. "Mom," I asked, "are you okay?"

She nodded. My dad stood behind her and rubbed her shoulders. "We have more news. Do you wanna tell them, Honey?"

Dad nodded. Then he took a breath and opened his mouth to speak. Nothing came out. He tried again, "There's two babies."

Maddie and I exchanged looks, confused about what she was saying. I raised my eyebrow, trying to get our confusion across without using words.

Mom clarified. "We're having twins."

***

It was eleven o'clock later that night. I was walking to the bathroom when I heard voices float down the hall. They were coming from my parents' room.

Maddie had been hiding in her room since the announcement. I walked over to their room and was about to knock when I heard, "Charlie, I just don't think we can do this," Mom whispered. She sounded like she'd been crying. "There are two babies. We can't afford that. And with Maddie."

The door was half open and I could see my mom's head shaking as she buried it in her hands.

My dad sat down next to her on the bed. He wrapped her in a hug. "I know, Baby." He rested his head on hers. "But we don't have a choice. Everything will work out. I promised." Then he kissed her forehead.

I sank back on the wall. I just saw a raw part of my parents that they'd never shown me or my sister. I knew that I'd have to fix my sister's opinion on these babies.

Ella

I walked into my house after school and kicked off my shoes. I was exhausted and could feel my homework load in my backpack. When I walked into the living room I saw that Mike had put up the Christmas tree.
Dad walked in with the daily mail. Grayson was on his tail - my dad most likely just picked him up from school. Gray ran over to the tree and started to help decorate.

Dad started to go through the mail, separating it into two piles - junk and somewhat useful. "Hey El, you have something here," Dad said.

I gave him a weird look as I saw my dad struggling to keep a straight face. "What?" I asked, grabbing the letter. I realized why he was smiling as I saw the return address - the University of Colorado, Boulder. I took a deep breath as I tried to hold back a smile.

My hands were shaking as I ripped open the envelope. When I read the word accepted, I screamed. Then I jumped my dad, throwing him into a hug. I was so happy that I was literally starting to cry.

"Did somebody die?" Mike asked as he and Grayson walked into the kitchen.

I turned to him, a huge smile on my face. "I got into Boulder!" I screamed.

"What?" Mike said, his face also now in a huge grin. He walked over to me and hugged me. He made a show of picking me up from the ground and spinning me around. I laughed.

When he set me down I turned to my little brother. I bent down and opened my arms, expecting a hug from him to. Grayson glared at me before running down the hall.

I stood up and turned to my family, confused. Both Dad and Mike just shrugged.