Chapter 5

Jacob

It was now nearing the end of September. The air was starting to go into the low sixties to the mid-fifties temperature wise. People were beginning to bundle up in sweatshirts and jeans.

I was next to the locker room after practice making out with Rachel. When we finally pulled apart there was a guy who played receiver on the football team standing nearby. He was staring at us. Well, mostly Rachel.

When she saw me staring at him. Rachel gave a patronizing little wave. Then she spun back around and grabbed my face. She pulled me in and before I knew it she had pulled me into a long, passionate kiss. Then Rachel turned back towards him and smiled.

Rachel had always been the kind of person who liked to use what she had. When she first realized she was hot, she'd have boys do her homework in exchange for a date with her. Now she was clearly using me and my status to show off her power. Not that I minded. I knew this when I first asked her out.

As Rachel and I were walking to my car, I felt my phone vibrate. I retrieved it from my pocket and saw Ella's account name. I found that I'd stopped walking so I could focus on her message.

Dear Jacob,

Things with Ben are going great. He's still kind of a cocky jerk. His personality is the reason that I don't like people who play sports. But Ben has convinced me to go to a high school party. I've actually never been to one. You probably think I'm a dork. Knowing you, you've probably been to tons of parties.

Well, got any advice?

Ella

Ella and I messaged each other at least every other day. But for some reason I wanted to hold on to every message.

Dear Ella,

I have been to many parties. I've hosted a few as well. My one tip is that you shouldn't get too drunk. I'm guessing that you weight around 120. So you can have one or two beers. Any more than that and you can get in some serious trouble.

One time at a party I got drunk and ended up falling asleep naked on a pool floaty.

And if you don't really like Ben then why are you dating him. Do you really want to have a good portions of your firsts with a guy you don't even like.

Jacob

A few seconds later my phone beeped again. Ella must be doing her homework. That was the only time she'd respond quickly. She apologized for all the other times when her phone isn't nearby.

Jacob,

It's not that I don't like Ben. He's cute and can be funny. He's perfectly fine when it's just him and I. When he gets around his friends that's when he becomes cocky and a little mean.

Anyways it's high school. I don't wanna be that girl that never has a high school boyfriend.

Ella

"Jacob!" Rachel screamed. She was pissed. You could hear it in her voice. When I didn't move from my spot I began to hear Rachel's heels clicking on the pavement. She was the girl who wore heels to school. It was always funny when they could hardly walk down the halls.

I glanced at my phone as Rachel grabbed my hand and began to drag me towards my car. I couldn't help but think about how Ella isn't the type of girl who wore heels to school. And how she wasn't the girl who used a person for their status. Ella might not be in love with Ben but she wasn't using him.