Chapter 16

Jacob

The next thing I knew it was nearing the end of May and it was time for graduation. I was in my room trying on my cap and gown. Mom wanted pictures.

I walked downstairs feeling half embarrassed and half proud. I was graduating!

Mom saw me and her hands quickly covered her mouth. Tears started to find there way out of her eyes. WIth her being nine months pregnant, her hormones were everywhere. "Oh my gosh. My little boy." She stood up and brushed off my shoulders before sizing me up. "You look so handsome."

I laughed. "Don't worry you have two more on the way." Mom rolled her eyes but the smile stayed on her face.

"Okay," Dad stated as he sat up from the couch, "picture time."

For the next half an hour I had to pose for at least fifty photos. As I began to fold up the outfit Mom took in a sharp breath. "You okay Honey?" Dad asked, rubbing her shoulder.

"Yeah," she answered. Then her eyes went wide. She shook her head. "Nope. I think my water just broke."

My dad's eyes got big. "What? Come on. Let's go." He stood up before reaching for my mom.

She shook her head. "Maddie's not home yet."

"Mom," I stated, making my voice firm, "I'll wait here but you have to go. If your water broke that means it's time to go."

She glared at me before grabbing her side again. Without another word, my parents left.

***

Maddie and I had been waiting in that stupid hospital waiting room for over an hour. For some reason the doctors didn't want us in the room with Mom. "You okay with all of this?" I asked my sister.

"What am I supposed to do to stop it. Plug up her vigina?" I wrapped my arm around my sister. She leaned into me. When I felt water on my arm I glanced at her. She was crying.

"Maddie," I sighed. I wanted to make her less sad but I just didn't know how.

Maddie rubbed her eyes as her face became red from embarrassment. "I just don't want to be forgotten about. You know? I was the youngest. Now I'm just gonna be that middle child who's just there. There will be a younger, better version now."

"I promise you won't be forgotten. Mom and Dad love you." I was quiet for a second. "If they do forget you I'll call you every night at college. Promise."

"Really?" I saw relief in her eyes. I nodded.

"Okay guys," I heard a familiar voice say. I looked up and saw my dad, "who's ready to see their new brother and sister?"

We walked into the hospital room and saw my mom holding one baby. Another was next to her in a small crib thing. "Hey guys," Mom whispered. I walked over and saw my new baby sister in her hands. "This is Maya and that is Lucas."
We sat there bonding as a family for a long while. When Mom fell asleep I texted Ella. But as I pulled out my phone and opened my messaging app. I just couldn't type the message. My best friend who I didn't even know yet, I might have fallen for. But she wasn't a real person to me. I couldn't keep being in this relationship with somebody I couldn't physically touch or look at.

I put my phone away and walked over to my baby brother. I picked him up and sat down on the couch.

***

A week later I was behind a curtain ready to get my diploma. "Jacob Bentley," the principal said. I walked up and shook his hand. I saw my family in the audience. Maddie gave me a thumbs up. I smiled. I did it. I had graduated.

Ella

I packed up the last of the boxes. Mike walked up and grabbed two more before bringing them to the car. It was mid-August and tomorrow we'd be driving down to the University of Colorado. I tapped the last box shut and glanced at my now empty room.

I grabbed my phone, wanting to share my excitement with Jacob. Then I looked at our last message that took place almost four months ago. I turned off my phone and put my phone in my backpack.

I sat down on my bed, smiling even though I was crying. After waiting for this moment for nine years, I was leaving. It was time for my life to start. It was time for college.