Chapter 30

Ella

The next month dragged by slowly. I didn't go out more than I had to. Most of my time was spent in my bed wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants. Becca tried to help me but she gave up. I had no place to go when Caleb came over. It felt like she was rubbing their relationship in my face.

I really just didn't understand why I'd been so dumb. It hurt because I really did love him, and his family. There was just this awful pain that was following me around. With my high school boyfriend I never felt heartbreak. Now I wished I never felt at all. That's the problem with love. The highs are very high but the lows were very low. There was no neutral.

The dorm's door opened and Becca walked in. She shut the door gently. She walked towards me slowly, like I was an animal that would run away if startled. "El, have you started packing yet?" she asked softly. "We leave tomorrow."

I groaned and collapsed on my bed. "I know," I grumbled. "Stop reminding me."

Becca frowned and walked over to her desk. She opened her laptop and started typing. "I'm just saying," she glanced back at me, "we leave at 8AM tommorrow. Not a ton of time to pack.'

I growled and got up. I didn't understand why she was being so pushy about this. But I got up and threw a suitcase together. I began grabbing clothes and just throwing them in there.

Becca came over to me and grabbed the handful of clothes out of my suitcase. "Ella, stop!" she exclaimed. Then she threw my clothes on the ground. "I'm sick of this!" she yelled as she threw her hands up. "A guy dumped you. Boo-hoo. It was a month ago. Get off your ass and go see your family."

"But," I warned.

Becca grabbed my shoulders and gave me a little shake. "No buts. How are you ever gonna move on if you won't move?"

I frowned like a sad puppy but I understood. I moved to my closet and started to organize real outfits. After about an hour I was completely packed. Becca clapped her hands and smiled at me. "Great job!" she exclaimed. Then she pulled me into a hug, I frowned, upset that I was being treated like a child.

"Whatever," I said as I laid back down on my bed. Tomorrow I'd be back home with my family. That was what I really needed.

But Becca had other ideas. She grabbed my arms and pulled me up. "We should go out."

"No," I whined.

Becca glared at me. "Ella, come on. You need this."

I turned and looked at myself in the mirror above Becca's dresser as I thought about what she said. I looked and felt like crap. It would be nice to get dressed up and let loose.

***

The two of us walked into one of the bars on the campus' strip. It wasn't as crowded as normal. I felt confident in my painted-on jeans and tight sweater. I even had on leather boots and a tiny bit of make-up. Becca had been right about me having to get out of the house. I felt better already.

We walked up to the bar. Becca had a "full proof" method of getting drinks under age. "You just gotta be confident. And, if it's a guy, sexy," she told me.

The bartender was extremely handsome. He had shaggy brown hair and a beard. His black shirt was tight but loose. Becca glanced at me, as if saying, "It's a dude. Sexy time." She put a little swagger in her step as she strolled up to him.

She leaned on the counter as she purposely showed a little extra cleavage. I rolled my eyes. She smirked and pretended to give the guy a once over. "I'll have a vodka soda."

He glanced over at me casually, silently asking my drink order. I'd been actually looking him over. There was something about him. "Oh," I said, caught off guard, "I'll just have a Diet Coke."

The guy then smiled at me. It was like he was refreshed by my honesty about my age. He went and grabbed my pop. I quickly took a long sip of the pop, trying to avoid eye contact.

He turned to Becca. "I can get you the soda but I need an ID for the vodka."

Becca smiled and said, "What? Do you not trust me or something?" His face stayed hardened. My best friend did a dramatic huff and then pushed her hair aside flirtatiously. She pretended to search through her bag. Grabbing her wallet she flipped right past the ID. "Ugh-oh. Looks like I forgot it at home."

Bartender dude turned around and grabbed a drink. Becca winked at me, thinking she'd won. He handed her the drink. She took a sip then frowned. "What the hell, this is Coke!"

He winked at her as he dried some glasses. "Yep. Well, it's actually Diet Coke. Give me an ID then we can talk."

Becca glared at him. "Don't you know a women when you see one? Asshole." Then she pranced off to a table. I spurted out a laugh. He saw me laughing and started to chuckle. "Sorry about my friend," I told him. "She's a little crazy."

He shook his head, still laughing a little bit. "No problem. I'm used to it." Then he leaned over the bar and smiled at me. "I'm Clyde."

I raised my eyebrow. "Clyde? That's an interesting name."

"I was named after my grandfather."

I nodded, understanding the fate of grandparent's names. "Ella!" I heard from behind me. I turned to Becca. "Caleb's here!"

I rolled my eyes as I turned back to the bar. There goes our lady's night. Clyde must have seen my face. "Her boyfriend?" I nodded.

"You sure I can't have that drink?" I joked as I pretended to shoot myself in the head with my finger.

Clyde chuckled. Just the reaction I'd wanted. "How about this," he said as he stacked the now clean glasses, "my shift is almost over. I'll come meet you."

I smiled as I had this weird feeling that I just had to keep talking to him. "I'd like that," I said.

I walked over to Becca but couldn't help but watch Clyde. Finally, after what felt like a year, he walked over to me.

I introduced him to Becca and tried to start a group conversation. I ended up having my own private conversations with him. I felt like I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I just wanted to keep knowing more about him. It was weird. I hadn't really felt that before.

At the end of the night the four of us walked out of the bar. Before Clyde and I went our separate ways I turned to him. "Tonight was...fun."

He smiled quietly at me and leaned against the bar's door. "It was." He scratched the back of his head. "I'd like to see you again."

I smiled, not knowing how to respond. Before I could think, he took a step and his lips found mine. I smiled as I kissed him back. Then he stepped away far too soon and turned to walk down the other street. "Bye Ella," he said

"Bye," I whispered breathless. I'd definitely not expected that.