THIRTY-FOUR

A/N: thank you for waiting

My head hurt.

Everything ached, and every time I tried to open my eyes, they were scorched by a bright light. The voices were muffled but I could've sworn that I heard people yelling. There was a constant high pitch tone in my ear, until someone leant down to whisper.

I could barely make out the voice, but last two words came clear through my ears.

"Stay alive."

The high pitched sound became so bad that I wanted to scream, but couldn't physically open my mouth. The lights became so bright that I could feel them burning my eyes even through my closed lids.

Then everything went silent, black and cold.

***

A soft beeping sound echoed in my ear. The light fluttered through to my closed eyes, but unlike before, it didn't burn. My body felt strangely numb and I could just make out a cool breeze drift across my skin.

Something warm was pulled further towards my chest, stopping the cool air run across my skin.

I wanted so badly to open my eyes, yet there were so heavy. I wanted so badly to speak one word but my throat was so sore. My mind was running around with thoughts that I couldn't keep up with. So, I focused on the sound of the soft beeping and let myself drift away.

***

I could move my fingers. I could feel the warmth wrapped around me from the freshly heated blanket that I had just been tucked into. The soft beeping was still echoing throughout the room, but apart from that it was quiet.

I would've thought I was alone, but I felt a small weight to the right of me, and finally, my ears focused on some soft snores.

Struggling, I lifted my heavy lids and opened my eyes. The light was bright, which I noticed was from the open curtains when my eyes began to focus on everything. The room was bright, with white walls and blue accents. It smelt strongly of sanitiser and other things that give hospitals distinct smells.

I gazed over at the sleeping form next to me. Rosie's head was flat against the hospital bed and her body was draped over from sitting in the waiting chair next to me.

I had no idea how long I had been out.

I softly stroked Rosie's soft hair, wanting to wake her up peacefully and then feeling guilty when she started to shift. Her head slowly lifted, her eyes opening and a big yawn coming from her mouth. She rubbed one of her eyes, not yet realising that I was awake.

Her mouth dropped open when it finally hit her.

I said the only three words that I could muster in the moment, and it hurt like a bitch to even talk.