Home

Joe let his hand rest on her waist as the lift doors, that were all too familiar, closed them off from the empty foyer.

"Oh my god, we look knackered," Dianne giggled, meeting his eyes in the mirrored surface.

"Yeah, no lift selfie until I'm caught up on sleep," Joe rubbed her back and turned her towards him, kissing her forehead.

"But we have to sort everything and put it on the first wash before we sit down," Dianne yawned into his neck and then snuggled into him, closing her eyes, as his scent enveloped her in a comfortable familiar blanket.

"Di, you're literally falling asleep in my arms. You can go up and I'll sort everything."

"I'm hungry though," she groaned, pulling their little suitcases out leaving Joe with the rucksacks and the big suitcases.

"I guessed so there's Nandos on it's way, which I ordered when you fell asleep on my lap in the car, holding your stomach because you wouldn't eat anything on the plane," Joe said turning so she could get the key from his pocket.

"That's because it made me sick," Dianne contested, unlocking the flat.

"No, the turbulence made you poorly, anyway, go and get some PJs on and I'll do this, come back down though, don't fall asleep," Joe said, parking the cases in the big space in their flat, smacking her bum, as she left his side, having kissed his cheek.

She reached their bedroom flopping backwards onto the bed with a dizzy smile. As much as the trip to see her family had been amazing and very necessary, she was happy to be home to their bed and some routine. She mushed her face into his pillow finding that smell again and then rooted for her pyjamas which she had vaguely remembered Joe folding under her pillow before they left. Then she picked a hoodie up from the floor on his side of the bed, it too folded in Joe's anxious wait, and pulled it over her head. A quick scrub of her face later, using Joe's spare face wash, and she was back downstairs to him.

"You smell of me," Joe groaned, having been pulled into a thankful hug because he had taken a picture of the article of clothing she had missed most.

"It's your hoodie. I didn't realise until I had pulled it on, promise."

"Ah I see, how are you little one? I'm sorry about your pop's funeral." Joe rested his chin on her head.

"It's okay, I'm just happy he got to meet you and we got one last Christmas. He liked you, you know, he didn't probably know exactly who you were but he liked you because you got a wink. A Pop Russo wink," Dianne's voice started to wobble, closing her eyes as a picture of her Pop worked it's way into her sleepy mind.

"Well, little one," Joe walked them to the couch, laying down with her, "I think he was the loveliest gentleman and his stories were amazing. You definitely get things from him. The way you talk with your hands is the exact same as him. And he was positive with everything just like you Di. It's okay to feel sad about not being able to go to the funeral or say goodbye properly. Its definitely okay to cry more than once."

"I'm I just yeah," she gave up speaking and cuddled into him, as she let go of the days worth of emotion and cried straight into his chest. He didn't flinch, not how he might have done in the early days. Instead he just tightened his arms and kissed her hair, locked into a position he could stay for hours in.

~~~

"Did I tell you what he said to me?"

"Who? Your Pop?" Joe asked, as he plated up their food, looking over the couch at her little redhead.

It nodded and Joe waited for her to continue, "when we were saying goodbye and Nana had trapped you talking about how skinny you were, he beckoned me over. I thought it was just for a kiss but then he whispered, 'are you going to have a baby with him?' And nodded to you."

"What did you say back?" Joe asked, passing her the plate, sitting down next to her.

"I pulled back and winked at him. Before I gave him a kiss on the cheek. He had a massive smile on his face when I stepped back. He approved."

"Very smooth, your Pop was a smooth guy. And his stories!"

"I know, we used to stay sometimes and he always told us one before we went to bed. Nana used to tell him off because they were so exciting that me and Bren used to keep Andrew up talking about them. She never told us off. Always Pop," Dianne explained a bright smile on her face, it was impossible for her to feel sad when talking about her memories of him.

"That's doesn't surprise me, I've seen the videos, butter wouldn't melt. God help me when I have to discipline our kids," Joe nudged her ribs, after spending so much time with Billy and Mia the conversation seemed to keep cropping up- not that either of them minded.

"Oh yeah? Our kid with monkey ears and a giraffe neck?"

"Amelia," Joe returned in an Australian accent.

"We're not calling our kid that," Dianne groaned, stealing a garlic bread off his plate, kissing his lips when he went to protest.

"Ahh, spicy, Dotty, no that's not allowed, you know the rule," Joe said, fanning his mouth, reaching for his drink, only to be kissed again by a giggly Dianne.

"Nah, I can kiss you anytime I want, because you love me," Dianne countered, continuing with her meal, as Joe got up to get a tissue and sneak some milky substance from the fridge- only to realise they didn't have any. "Plus Joe," she said loudly making him jump, as he was only a few metres away from her.

"What Di," he used the same volume.

"Very funny. What I was going to say is you didn't exactly want to kiss me whilst we were away, not in front of my brothers or the kids anyway. You're okay with mum and dad now. So I have to make up for it."

"Mmm," Joe raised his eyebrow but pecked her cheek, slipping his arm around her now he was done with his wrap.

"Yep."

///

"Dot, wake up, coffee," he said, tickling her back.

"I only just fell back asleep though," she said, putting her head on his lap, ignoring what he said.

"I know, you were all wriggley trying to fall back asleep, but your hair appointment is in an hour and a half and I don't want to give you anything else to complain about, other than being tired."

"Covering your ass nice Joe. What are you doing today?" She had managed to sit up and lean on his shoulder.

"The tree and then work stuff. Emails probably. Monday is where it's going to get bad, I need to catch up with all of the Margravine clients then," Joe said, passing her coffee over, happy he had put it on his side.

"I missed this mug you know? It's a good mug."

"He he, you sound drunk." Dianne giggled and sipped the drink as a silence settled on them, the both of them looking over the January coloured skyline that London was boasting- each with a sense of being home.

"My brain's coming up with something interesting," Dianne whispered, locking their hands under the covers.

"What might that be?" He used his free hand to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear.

"That when ever I used to talk about Bunbury I used to say I'm going home. Not even talking about Bunbury just talking about WA. But I realised when we landed yesterday that I was home. Which made my brain wonder whether Bunbury is now just where mum and dad, Bil, Mia, Bren and Annie are. If this really is home. But I don't think that's true. I think actually you're home. Wherever you are you're home. Not the hot or the cold or my things. You."

A smile grew on Joe's face, recalling when that very same sentiment became his own back on Father's Day. He chose not to reply, instead lifting their hands and kissing hers gently, letting his coffee warmed lips linger on her tanned skin. He hadn't expected her to say such a thing but he couldn't have chosen a better moment for her realisation- in their bed, sleepy, using coffee as a crutch.