I wrote YOU a song

Dianne held her breath, as she waited for the call to connect. She was snuggled up in bed, having just eaten her dinner- completely ready for the favourite part of her night.

"Hold on, you're running out of charge," a voice on the other line said making Dianne giggle.

"Better?" She laughed, hearing his computer ding with happiness.

"Yes," his face appeared on her phone, "hiya honey."

"Hi, how was your day? What have you been up to?" Dianne asked, as Joe pulled the covers up his bare chest.

"Good. I've been busy," he smiled at her.

"Yeah? With what? What's consumed your attention today, Suggy?"

"I wrote you a song," he said gently- more gently than usual.

"Oh cool what's the song about. Who's of for? Who've you been working with? Byron?" She obviously hadn't heard him fully.

"For you, I wrote it for you. I wrote YOU a song. Can you hear me Di?" He asked, speaking up a bit more which significantly reduced the romance of the situation in his mind.

"Yeah, for me? You wrote it for me? Actually?" Dianne said, hand over her mouth as what he said registered.

"Uh huh, about us."

"Can I hear it?" She asked, and Joe could see her bouncing on the bed, seeming like she was no longer tired.

"Not yet, I've still got a few little bits I need to change. You'll like it though, I wrote it with Josh."

"Josh Pieters? I didn't know he could sing, I thought it was just Connor and Byron and stuff. Jack. Who could."

Joe couldn't help but chuckle, "No Josh Wantie, the one who's married to Savannah."

"Oh yeah, I know him, cool. How long did it take?" Dianne was seriously impressed. She knew she had found a good one in Joe and that he was secretly very romantic but this took it to a whole new level. He had written her a song.

"Erm, all day. I had a few of the lyrics written down before we started, and a good idea of what I was going to write about. I enjoyed doing it for sure."

"Are you going to share it with the fans?"

"Maybe, I'm undecided. Anyway, how was your day, how was your show in," he paused and Dianne could see he was checking the hand written list he had done when she first set off, "let's see the date today is, so that means, mmm, Newport! How was Newport my love?"

"Amazing, so loud. I think its because they're Welsh you know, they like Amy. I can't believe you wrote a song about me." Dianne said, still blown away by her boyfriend's talent.

"I'm sure they like you and Chloe too! So you're in Swansea tomorrow, another loud crowd."

"Yeah definitely. Wait until mum hears, wait, will you play it when they come?"

"Course I will, got to impress them ain't I?"

Dianne shook her head, the warm smile, that had been playing on her lips from the moment he answered, growing, "they already love you Joe. I think my mum misses you on my phone calls as much as I miss you. She likes hearing about all your different ventures."

"Not long now eh? Less than 2 months." Joe pointed out, he was really excited to meet her parents in person. He felt like he already knew them and, in his opinion, meeting them would only make things better.

"I know. Gosh I miss them, and you for that matter." Her smile faltered.

"I miss you too. But, I'll see you on monday okay? For 3 nights," he said, his tone significantly softer- if that was at all possible. Dianne had noticed Joe was always gentle when he spoke to her. It was different to how he spoke to his friends, but after meeting Tracey she had discovered it was the same way he spoke to her- which filled Dianne with something more than happiness.

"Yeah."

"I've got you, Gorgeous, its okay. Is there anything else?"

"N-no I'm just being a baby I-I just miss you." She stuttered, moving the camera away from her face so she could wipe her eyes.

"You're definitely not a baby, it's okay to cry. Jesus I miss you so much too. When I bought this big bed it was just me and now I have you it feels massive when you're gone. I miss all sorts of things about you. It's okay to miss someone."

"But I've never missed anyone like I miss you, Joe, nobody other than my mum and Dad and they're in Australia," Dianne felt pathetic for crying over him- there were people in worse situations, people she knew.

"Me too okay? Maybe that just means that we really really love each other, let look at it that way eh?" Joe suggested, he was struggling seeing her so upset.

"Yeah. I do really really really love you. I've never felt this way, ever."

Joe winked at her, smiling, "me either. You're the one Dianne, don't forget that."

"I won't." She shook her head, she couldn't forget it because he was the same for her. "What were you doing before I interrupted your evening?"

"You didn't interrupt, I wasn't doing a lot. Folding some clothes, I was looking for my Instagram jumper but then I saw someone's post on insta and you had it on. Are you keeping it warm?"

"Definitely. It's so cool."

"Well I'm glad it's being worn. Do you want to settle down now? Its nearly half one?" Joe suggested, his eyesight drawn to the alarm clock under his TV.

"Just don't go okay?" She had a childlike innocence about her when she said that, which made Joe pout.

"I'm not going anywhere ever."

Dianne yawned, turning the lamp off, plunging herself into an almost suffocating darkness, the only light coming from her phone which she had propped up on her pillow.

"N'night sweetheart, I love you so much," Joe whispered just as he did every night no matter where in the word he was respective of her.

"Night."

///

"Joe," she looked at him tears glistening in her eyes, as she slipped the bulky headphones off, "Joe that was incredible- it's, it's, well, it's our story, its us."

"Yeah," he scratched the back of his neck, watching her fingers trace the neat cursive lyrics on the page he had placed in front of her.

"How did you do that? How did you come up with these words?"

"They just sort of came out of me. I don't know. Like you said it's us so it wasn't particularly difficult, I love you and this," he put his hand over hers which had settled on a line that read 'dancing when we're alone', "this is our story. This is us."

"Oh Joseph," she pulled him down, hugging him tightly, "you wonderful wonderful man. Jesus Christ I love you."

Joe didn't need to reply, she knew his answer. Instead, he unplugged the headphones, pressed his spacebar and held his hand out to her. Dianne was confused but nonetheless took it, suddenly understanding, as he pulled her into a close closed hold and began turning in a circle rocking from side to side. Part of the reason he had written a song was so that they always had something to dance to. They always had something to remind them of when they fell in love dancing on Strictly Come Dancing. And something to remind them just how far they had come through barriers and disapproval, questioning and secrecy and the media and fans beyond. A story of how their love had survived it all.