The Distance Between Us

If you were to guess how long this took me to write you would be nowhere near. For context I had this idea in MAY 😱 so yeah. I hope you enjoy- it might be awful because it's taken that long, it might be good- who knows- not me!

Foreheads touching, breath mingling, minds in sync, hands tangled around the other, lips locked, souls woven tightly together. Trying to remember with all their hearts and minds what the other person felt like. How it felt to have the other pressed close. How their lips fitted together and their tongues explored. Where the other's hands sat in a passionate moment and in the quiet too. How their bodies felt alive. More alive than ever before.

"I don't want you to go Dianne. I know you have to but I don't want it," Joe said, knowing their hopeless delay had to stop, she was leaving, for just over 6 months, from February to August, back to where her body was happiest. Back to where her soul could sing and she could be surrounded by those who matter the most. He hated it but if it made her even remotely happy, it had to be done.

"I just, this year is not the year I permanently move to England Joseph. We've only been together 3 months. I haven't got any more tours, I have to go back."

"I'll, I'll try and visit, maybe I can get work out there, or or, you could come back for a few weeks," he foolishly suggested, a child-like hope in his voice, despite knowing that it was stupid and useless.

"Joe. Come on, I promise you, 6 months will fly by and I'll be back in your arms in no time," Dianne brushed the hair off his forehead, back into the messy quiff that she would miss watching him style, or mess with when he was nervous. She'd miss all of it.

Joe simply nodded and pulled her close again, "fuck," he muttered, as he tucked her head under his chin, "this is hard."

"It is, but we're not breaking up, just literally putting some distance between us. We'll text and call every day, twice a day if we need. You can fall asleep to me waking up and I can virtually show you everything I love. Before you know it Joey, I'll be back using up your electric, stealing your clothes and breaking your stools. Kay? 6 months. Not even when you think how little of this month we have left. I do have to go though Joe, I do."

"Right now?"

Dianne nodded into his chest stroking her hands up and down his back. "Don't cry now, it'll make it harder. Go and sit in the car, buy some shit food, the junkiest junk food, though don't make yourself sick with food poisoning and cry there okay. Let me go honey, come on," she encouraged, an expert in saying goodbye. Joe squeezed her tightly one more time kissed her forehead and let go, stepping back.

"I feel sick already."

"It'll hurt less Joe. I love you okay, so so much that 9000 miles isn't going to change that."

"Me too," he passed her her carry on bag, and pressed their lips together one more time, "I love you too."

"Bye Joey, I love you."

"I love you. See you soon."

Dianne turned back and winked at him, not meeting his eyes that she knew would be lined with tears, "see you soon." And off she went through the gates, wiping her own tears away. It was like, for the first time in her life, she didn't want to be returning to her homeland with its sunshine beaches and sandy caves. With her parents and her growing niece and nephew. With her aging Pops and her gorgeous Nana and everyone else she loved. Or rather, it was like for the first time, she wished to not be going alone.

///

"So you made it alright?" Joe asked with a soft smile.

His girlfriend returned it, equally soft and measurablely sad , "I did my love. Safe. How are you doing?"