Thank You For Capturing My Heart

This part was requested by bjhbhbkuk I hope you enjoy, I'm so sorry about the wait, I've had a busy few weeks and inspiration has been slow 🥴xx

"Say bye bye to Daddy, say see you later," Dianne said to the baby resting on her hip.

"Am I getting him?" Joe asked, stroking his son's cheek, still stood at the door, not wanting to get prematurely wet.

"Yeah, I'm in late today, have a good day," she said, kissing him.

"You too, see you later. Bye buddy."

"Bye bye dadda, we love you," she said in a baby voice, as she waved his little podgey hand.

"Love you too." Joe called back, as he ran to his car with his hood up and, having thrown is work bag into the back next to the empty car seat base, drove off.

"We need to get going mister, or Mummy's going to be late for school," Dianne said, kissing her son's hair, as she closed the front door.

This was a usual morning for Joe, Dianne and baby Harrison, who had been in their lives for 4 months. They were a proper family, just like any other, only one small difference- they were 17 and 19. Teenagers in their own rights raising a baby on their own, completely independent of their families. Now, that didn't mean they didn't receive support from their parents, they did, it's just the couple were trying to be as self-sufficient as possible. That meant paying for everything, including a place to live and childcare, as well as trying to make Harrison's future brighter.

Currently they lived in a one bedroom flat in Chippenham, and both attended apprenticeships. Joe's was a thatching apprenticeship and Dianne's was for hairdressing. The pay wasn't brilliant but it meant that they would both have professions they could move into after they had finished their training. Dianne went to College 3 times a week and worked another 2 and Joe worked 6 days a week. This meant that Harrison was at a childminder for the 3 days his mum was at college and got to tag along in the salon the other two- it wasn't easy but they made it work.

As a reader, unfamiliar with their story, you may be wondering how such a situation came about. Well, the couple couldn't remember their life without each other, that's because it hadn't really existed. Joe had always known a life with Dianne in it. She was the girl that lived next door and played with his sister. The girl that always included him in their games. It hadn't always been that they were together- or that they fancied each other for that matter. Instead when she was nearly 17, and Joe 15, Dianne realised, after a string of failed dates being cheated on by someone that it was Joe who was there to protect her every single time. And it would be Joe who reached in and stole her guarded heart from her chest. Just as she had consequently done to him, as he watched her break her heart over and over again. 2 years later and some poor decisions on both ends, they had Harrison. Who was actually the best decision they could have ever made.

"Do you miss Daddy?" Dianne said, seeing how her son had rolled his way to Joe's jumper, which was on the floor and started sucking on the sleeve.

"Daddy," she said as she picked him up and put him in the bouncer which was on the kitchen counter, "is going to get you from nursery. But Mummy is going to drop you off."

Harrison looked at her and smiled, before trying to reach for her hair, which she had recently dyed red for a bit of a change. When he couldn't reach it he started to whimper until he realised he had a hand that tasted just as nice.

"Are you still hungry bubba? Shall I try and feed you again?" Dianne said, sitting at the kitchen table with her plate of eggs. Harrison thrashed his head around so she took it as him looking for food and lifted her top up for him to eat. She had gotten used to eating one handed but it still weirded her out that she was feeding her baby whilst feeding herself.