1

Virgil sat there staring up at their so-called new house and just... gave up. He didn't want to move across the country but considering he's only 17, he didn't have a choice. His father smiled back at him sadly as he sighed and turned the car off.

"Virgil... kiddo, I know you're upset but..."

"Upset?" Virgil scoffed as he rolled his eyes and unbuckled. "Mom left you for another, much younger, woman who she's been cheating on you with for the past year, so you decided to pack everything up and drag me away from everything I've known for my whole life to this small town in Florida." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he threw his hood up and smirked. "I didn't have a choice here. Mom didn't want to be burdened with the responsibility of caring for her freak of a son so I was left with you. I'm being silent and going along with this... don't expect me to be happy and give you fake smiles."

"Virgil..." Virgil quickly got out of the car and put his headphones on with narrowed eyes. "Virg..."

"I don't care, Dad." Virgil shot his dad this look making the older man frowned. "Pop the trunk."

"Sure thing, Kiddo." Virgil heard the trunk pop and smirked grabbing his bags out before making his way in. The house was creepy, that's for sure. It wasn't run down or anything. In fact, it was freshly renovated. It was just that there was this... sick feeling Virgil got being there. Then again what's new? "You like it?"

"Like what... the barren white walls that provide less life than a mental hospital?" Emile tensed as Virgil's eyes darted about. "Or maybe it's the stagnant air that makes you want to wheeze."

"Virgil, come on, kiddo. It's hard. I understand... but I'm trying here." Virgil laughed softly as he shook his head. 

"So am I."

"Virgil." Virgil frowned as he saw his father reach out for him from the corner of his eyes. He quickly walked off before he could be touched and Emile sighed sadly. "Right... I was expecting this." 

Virgil walked through the house finding his room and just screamed as he slammed the door. He threw his bag on his bed and just stood there trying to breathe properly. Tears pricked at his eyes as he quickly shook his head resigning put all his things away. He dumped all his things onto his bed and frowned at it all. His hands sifted through everything as he groaned. This is him... his life... his soul... in a bag. Virgil's eyes narrowed as he laughed. 

An ipod, 78 dollars, three different chapsticks, a pair of black gloves, a cellphone with a crack in the screen, a pack of nearly empty cigarettes, a lighter, and a knife.

Virgil Picani... in a bag. 

Virgil grabbed his cigarettes and bit his lip as he walked over to his window. He pulled one out lighting it up as he just deflated. One good thing about his mom running away to Paris with that bitch in heels was he didn't have to worry about her beating him over his smoking. Not that his father liked it but still... Virgil's eyes took everything in as he looked around and frowned. He spotted someone peering over the fence and he froze up. He watched them come through the gate and he opened his window.

"HEY!" The man jumped looking up to see Virgil glaring down at him. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Coming to say hi?" Virgil's eyes narrowed as the man just waved. "I'm Thomas... I live just next door... and you are?"

"Not interested in making friends." Virgil walked off ignoring the man's frown as he rand down the stairs to find his father at the kitchen table looking through a bunch of paper. "Nosey neighbor warning."

"What?" There was a knock on the door and Emile's eyes went wide as Virgil laughed. "Oh... ok."

"You want me to send him away?"

"No... no, it's ok." Emile sighed as he fixed himself up and walked to answer the door, Virgil didn't understand the purpose. They were never really social people before. His father spent most of his free time watching cartoons while Virgil was on his computer. What was the point of trying to be any different? 

Virgil grabbed an apple before rolling his eyes and going to join his father. Thomas stood there smiling as he held a box of store-bought cookies. He spotted Virgil and smiled making the boy frown even more.

"Virgil, come here please."

"Do I have to?" Emile sighed as Virgil slowly made his way over shooting the stranger this look as if he was wearing some sort of flamingo outfit. Thomas just laughed as he held his hand out. 

"Thomas Sanders..." Virgil tensed up with anxiety as he just stared at Thomas's hand who smiled sadly and moved to hold his box without a hint up disappointment over not shaking Virgil's hand. "It's ok. You don't have to shake my hand. I don't bite though so you're safe. Just wanted to properly introduce myself to the new neighbors."

"This is my son, Virgil." Emile smiled as he placed a supportive hand to the boys back. "He and I just moved here from LA."

"Really? That's so cool." Thomas beamed and Virgil was certain he was going to go blind. He was just to damn pure. "You mentioned you were a Doctor?"

"Yep, a psychiatrist actually." Thomas's eyes flashed and suddenly his smile didn't seem so bright... or real. Virgil narrowed his eyes as he noticed Thomas's hands clench around the cookies a bit.

"Really?" Emile nodded and Thomas's eyes widened. "Are you planning on getting work nearby or..."

"Actually... I'm going to be starting it at home." Virgil jumped making Emile frown a bit. "Not that I told him yet."

"You're letting a bunch of crazies into the house?!" Thomas frowned a little as Emile shot Virgil a look. "Sorry, I know you don't like that word but still... DAD?!"

"VIrgil, you can go now."

"Fine!" Virgil scoffed as he threw his arms out storming off. "I didn't want to be here to begin with!"

"I am sorry about that Thomas." Thomas sighed sadly as he shook his head and smiled again. 

"Forget about it. I understand..." Thomas looked over after Virgil and bit his lip. "Actually Emile.... Are you looking for any patients now?"

"Well, yeah. The sooner I can get everything started the better." Emile's eyes darkened and Thomas nodded with understanding. "For the both of us, you know?"

"Well, then... I might actually have someone for you." Emile quirked a brow as Thomas looked off again with a frown. "My son..." His eyes darkened as he shook his head. "That is if you're willing."

"Of course Thomas. We can start as soon as you'd like."