10

Trigger Warning- mentions of suicide, mentions of self-harm and cutting, mentions of a school shooting

Virgil stood there shaking as he bit his lip and hugged himself. He was fraying at the seams. The house just seemed so cold and uninviting. He grabbed his laptop and slowly moved through the house until he found himself in the living room. 

The floors creaked with every step making the anxious ambiance even more unsettling. He sat on the lonely living room couch, pressing his knees in close to him as he set his computer beside him. He clicked play on a new video and just melted into the noise. He couldn't stand the silence.

"ROMAN!" Virgil smiled softly hearing the excited laughter bubbling through the speakers. "Roamie... Roamie look. Look it. Look it. LOOK!" 

"Jesus, Remus, what?" In the video, Remus was jumping excitedly as he held up this jacket with a beaming grin. Roman narrowed his eyes in confusion until they shot wide in shock. "You made the team?"

"Yep!" Remus spun around putting the jacket over his shoulders as Roman smiled. Virgil didn't miss the way his eyes darkened. "Coach said he hadn't met a single boy my age who could throw like I could. Isn't this amazing, Ro?"

"I'm happy for you, Ray." Remus giggled as he jumped into his twin with an excited squeal. "I uh... actually have some news too." Remus paused, pushing away suddenly as Roman smiled at him. 

"Oh, what's this about Roman?" Thomas was once again holding the camera as the boys both looked over at him. Roman's eyes shined as he shifted a bit fixing his beanie on his head better.

"I got..." Roman mumbled the rest of the sentence making his brother burst out with laughter at how Roman shied away. "Don't laugh!"

"Come on, Roamie! You got what?"

"I got the part." Remus froze up as Roman bit his lip anxiously. "I... I went for an audition at the local theater and... I got the part."

"SERIOUSLY?!" Roman nodded as he smiled sheepishly while Remus literally jumped about with hyper joy. "What part? What part? Roman, fucking tell me!!!" Remus shook his brother like crazy making Roman laugh as Remus beamed. "What part did you get?"

"Prince Charming." Remus's eyes bugged as Roman laughed more at his twin's boundless energy. "I'm playing the part of Prince Charming in 'Into the Woods'."

"Oh my god!" Remus squealed as he shook his brother even more practically knocking the both of them over.

"Ray, calm down." Thomas sighed softly as his sons both laughed from the floor. Roman just laid their smiling as Remus sat himself up and looked down at him. 

"I'm proud of you Roman." Remus smiled softly as he took his brother's hand. "It's about time you did what you wanted for once. I'm proud of you."

"Say's the new Harrington Quarterback." Remus shook his head as he poked his bothers chest.

"I'm just in high school football. You, my dear dramatic twin, are gonna be an actor." Virgil jumped at the sound of a knock and quickly stopped the next video from playing. He jumped off the couch running to the door to hear another knock and he sighed. 

"Janus?" Virgil pressed himself against the door only to smile as he heard a soft yet shakey yes on the other side. He opened the door to find Janus hugging his dark grey hoodie tightly. Jan smiled softly as he quickly looked behind him and Virgil sighed. "He isn't here Jan."

"What? Oh... uh... no, it's..." Janus sighed as he shook his head and walked in. "I'm sorry. I just... I can't seem to relax, you know. He scares the shit out of me. I'm still having nightmares... like every night."

"It's ok, Jan." Virgil frowned as he rubbed his sore and bandaged arms he had hidden under his hoodie sleeves. "I do too." Janus spotted the computer and frowned seeing Virgil tense up. 

"What were you watching?" Virgil's eyes darkened as the two slowly moved to the couch.

"Remus..." Janus's eyes shot wide as Virgil smiled sadly. "And his brother, Roman."

"Roman?" Virgil nodded as he pulled the laptop into his lap so that he and Janus both could watch. "None of the things I read said anything about him having a brother."

"Yeah... Roman was Remus's twin... he, uh... He killed himself." Janus tensed as his eyes narrowed seeing how Virgil's hands shook. "Remus was the one that found him. He broke Jan. Finding out his own twin killed himself because of bullies and all that..." That caused Jan to flinch.

"That's why..." Virgil nodded as he looked over to see Janus fidgeting with his hands. "He was giving me a warning about what my action could do."

"He shot up the school in some sort of vengeance for his brother." Janus's eyes darkened as Virgil's voice shook. "Jannie, I don't know what to think."

"What do you mean? He's still a..."

"Remus, can you come here please?" Janus froze up eyes instantly going to the video Virgil had clicked on. Roman stood there smiling as he held a box firmly in his hands. "Ray, come on."

"No, I'm tired. Leave me alone." Roman smirked as he placed the box on the ground and proceeded to scream.

"REMUS GET OUT HERE!" There was a crash coming from the other's room and Roman laughed as the door whipped open only for Remus to stumble as to not hit the box and Roman had to catch him so he didn't get hurt. "Happy birthday, Ray."

"Shut up." Remus grumbled as he pushed himself up only to frown in confusion noticing the camera. He pointed over at it and Roman just smiled. 

"I stole dad camera.... shhh, don't tell him." Remus chuckled as he brushed his hair back. Roman jumped pushing a box into his twin's hands with a bright smile you never really got to see from him. "Open it."

"You're such a dork." Remus smiled as his usual energy finally seemed to come out and he literally tore through the box only to freeze. His eyes welled up as he pulled this jean jacket out of the box. Roman just smiled as Remus turned the jacket around to reveal the decal on the back. It was this cool looking red shield thing with odd green tentacle-like sword leaning against it. The name 'Romulus' in big bold black letters sat below it. Janus tensed as Roman spun around revealing he had one to. "What... why..."

"I know you already have that who letterman you go from your coach but... You mention us having a team name and stuff... something better than the creative twins so I ... made this." Remus started to cry as he put the jacket on and Roman laughed. "Do you like it? I know the name is a bit too close to mine but there is a story behind it."

"Romulus and Remus, right?" Roman beamed as he nodded and Remus chuckled. "They created Rome. I love it, Roman." Janus quickly slammed the laptop shut as tears spilled from his eyes.

"Dude, what the fuck?" Virgil smiled softly as Janus furiously wiped his tears away. "You can't just tell me all that about Roman and shit and then show me this."

"I've been watching these videos all day, Jan... like I said, I don't know what to think." Janus sighed as he looked over at his friend and smiled sadly. 

"You like him... don't you?" Virgil frowned as he shook his head. "Virgil, you can't lie to me... I'm to good at it myself."

"It's not that... I don't know. Maybe I do. It's hard. There's the hyperactive side to him that makes him seem a bit to much. It's not that I like that side, it's just not my type, you know?" Janus laughed as he nodded. "But then theres this other side to him that's sweet and kind and... soft. Very very soft..." Janus smiled seeing how Virgil's eyes shined. "I wouldn't normally go for the damaged kind... considering I'm damaged but... the way he helped me. His eyes held no pity or cruelty. He stood there with a soft determined look as he helped."

"Sounds like you do like him." Virgil rolled his eyes with a groan as he shook his head again. "Oh come on don't..." The front door slowly creaked open making the boys jump up. "Thomas?" Virgil's eyes filled with horror as shook his head pulling Janus behind the couch before the person could pass the living room doorway. "Virgil?"

"That's not Thomas." Virgil shook horribly as he peeked from behind the couch to see two people slowly walking in the room. He held his finger to his lips making Janus's eyes bug as he mouthed one simple word. 'Intruders.'