16

"Virgil?" Virgil frowned as he sat there huddled with Janus against the wall. "Where did R-Roy g-go?" 

"I don't know, Jan." Virgil whispered as he hugged Janus closer. 

"D-Did you hear all that screaming?" Virgil's eyes only narrowed as he nodded trying to just figure out what's going on. "Do you think something happened to him?"

"Hey. This is Romulus we're talking about... I-..." Virgil swallowed as he just shook his head. "Given what we know about Remus... I don't think so."

"Right..." Janus sighed as he wiped the tears from his cheeks. "I just want to make sure he's ok."

"I do too... but we can't do anything until it's sa-..."

"Stormcloud?" Virgil's eyes lit up as the door slowly creaked open revealing those bright green eyes. "Virgil..." Virgil jumped into Roy's arms as the other just smiled fondly with a sigh. "I'm glad your safe." Roy... or well, Roman hugged Virgil tighter as he glanced up to see Janus there and he nodded. "You too, Janus."

"What happened? Why was there so much yelling?" Roman's eyes darkened as he just opened the door wider gesturing for the two to follow him out. 

"We uh... I mean... I-..." Roman groaned in annoyance, roughing rubbing his hands over his face before just sighing with a tired smile. "A friend was called. They took care of... the intruders."

"Roy? What happened-..." Virgil started only to freeze up at the sight of a total stranger just standing there in the hallway waiting for them. "Who-..."

"Virgil... Janus, this is... a close family friend." Roman whispered with a sort of reserved expression. 

"Joan. They/Them pronouns please." Joan smiled as Virgil just clung closer to Roman. "It's ok, boys. You are safe now." Janus frowned as he glanced around, his hands clenched close to his chest with nerves.

"What happened to those people?" Joan's eyes flashed making Virgil falter, who could feel how Roman tensed up more before just wrapping his arm around Virgil. "Where did they go?"

"I scared them off. They weren't expecting me to show up." Janus paled as Joan just smiled trying to be as calming as they can be. "Don't worry though. Roy gave me a good description of them that I will inform the police over. I just wanted to make sure you both were ok before I called it in."

"'m fine." Virgil choked out as Roman just rubbed his arm reassuringly. "Just rattled, I guess." Janus didn't bother saying anything he just stood there staring at the ground. Joan sighed as they nodded and crossed their arms.

"Ok... on to more serious matters. Neither of you should stay here alone." Janus only paled more as Virgil nodded. He didn't want to be alone anyway. "We need to call Thomas."

"No." Roman growled making Virgil and Janus both jump in shock. Roman's eyes were wide and teary as Joan just shook his head.

"Ro... We don't have a choice."

"And I said NO!" Virgil gripped Roman's arm tighter making the boy freeze up. "I..." Roman crashed as he just hugged Virgil closer. "I can't see him. You know this. Not... Not after what happened." The air went stagnant as Joan's face softened over the pain in Roman's eyes. 

"Ro-..."

"No, Joan. I... I understand just... If you have to fine. But, leave me out of it." Roman swallowed his pain as he pulled himself from Virgil's grasp with a sad look. "I'm sorry, Virgil but I just can't." Roman walked off making Virgil stumble as Roman disappeared into this random room before shooting Joan a confused look.

"Uh... It's not mine to tell. Come on. We'll go out to the yard while I'll call Thomas over." Janus and Virgil shared a sad look before just nodding, thankful to be getting out of the house. Still, Virgil glanced at where he knew his friend had run off to as they left. 

"Virgil?" Virgil hesitated a bit a Janus tugged on his shirt. "I-..." Janus shook as he just stared at the ground. "I have to get home. If my parents hear that the police were here, my father is going to lose his mind."

"Are you sure you can handle that?" Janus cringed a bit before nodding his head. "Janus, don't lie-..."

"I have to go home, Virgil." Virgil sighed as he nodded making Janus smile a bit. "I'll uh... See you whenever?"

"Text me. Especially if something happens, Jannie." Janus seemed to relax a bit as his smile grew with a nod.

"You too, Virgil." Janus glanced over to see Joan on the phone before racing off before anything could be said. 

"Hey, wait!" Joan groaned seeing the gate slam shut before raking a hand through their hair. "And... I'm going to die." Joan groaned loudly as they shot Virgil a look that clearly said to not move as he turned back to the phone. "Thomas?" Their face lit up as they completely relaxed. "Yes... No. Thom-... HEY! Thank you, now let me speak, Sanderstorm. Yes, there was a situation at the house. We need you to come over." Joan glanced over at Virgil who was just sitting there on the steps and sighed sadly. "Virgil's safe and unhurt but... scared." Joan just blinked before pulling the phone away from their ear seeing the call had been ended. "Ok... Glad to talk to you too."

"VIRGIL!" Virgil jumped up the second the gate slammed open and Thomas threw his arms around him. "What the hell happened? Are you ok? Your father is going to lose his mind! I told you, you could stay at mine. That's it. Nope... You're staying with me now and that's it."

"Thomas. Thomas... Relax." Virgil squirmed in the adults hold as Joan just laughed from where they stood. Thomas whined as he just held Virgil tighter.

"Sorry. I just..." Thomas sighed as he pulled away and gave the younger a sad smile. "I don't know what I'd do if something happened." Virgil felt his blood go cold as he nodded, knowing the older must have been thinking about his own sons. "I'm glad you're ok at least. What happened-..."

"Dad?" Everyone jumped as they looked back to see Romulus, or actually Remus, standing there with a sad smile and Thomas's eyes darkened. "I'll uh... I'll tell you, just don't overwhelm the emo." Thomas nodded as Remus rubbed his arm anxiously. "Virgie... where did Jan go?"

"Home. He... didn't have a choice." Remus gave a curt nod as Thomas turned to Joan, who just nodded.

"Hey, Virgil?" Joan started with a soft smile. "Why don't I take you over to Thomas's house, while you call your father ok? It'll give these two some time to talk, ey?"

"Yeah..." Virgil hesitated a bit as Remus just gave him a reassuring smile. "O-Ok."