03 - Like Lightning

Waking up the next morning, Genevieve wasn't surprised to be met with the same empty blackness she had become acquainted with many years ago

Waking up the next morning, Genevieve wasn't surprised to be met with the same empty blackness she had become acquainted with many years ago. But she didn't feel sad, or worried about her somewhat uncertain future. Instead she felt a sick sense of comfort within the darkness, she knew it so well after all.

Sitting up within her thick sheets she looked around in the grayscale haze and dull shapes encased in a dull light. At least that was different from last time, she could see the light.

Loki nudged her hand which sat on the side of her bed and she let out a delicate sigh from the comforting contact. Just like old times, Loki guided her through the apartment and into the small bathroom down the hall. Her trusty steed lay in the corner of the tiled room as she took a much needed shower. Her worries melted away as the steaming water encased her freezing form, she didn't need to know the time or the date, she didn't have to worry about today's plans, the weather outside or the latest news headlines. She was going to take this as a small blessing in a rather peculiar way. Yes, instead she had to worry about the darkness clouding her mind... but it was better than her everyday. Ask anyone and they would never say they missed being blind.

But Genevieve did sometimes.

For a quiet moment she just enjoyed the peace that surrounded her. She couldn't hear the chaos of her brothers tattoo parlor downstair, or the busy traffic of the downtown Seattle rush hour, she could just tune it all out. The thing she loved most about it was the music that would fill her head.

When she first met the darkness as a young child in Paris, she struggled to adapt. Her parents didn't necessarily support her and her brother didn't know how to cope in the beginning. It was her Grandfather, Arnoux Elysées, who got her through the initial pain.

He was the one to show her the light.

She reached mindlessly to turn off the relaxing spray of water, wrapped herself in her thick robe and then left the steamed bathroom, Loki by her side.

If this was how every day from now went, she would be happy. The greatest part of her twenty one years so far was the quiet and the inspiration she found in it. Her own perfect form of calm.
And then she saw him. And she felt the slightest bolt of happiness shake through her body when she saw him smile. Like lightning it lit up her mind and made all the bad things disappear for just a second. But the bad rolled in again, it always did. It was worth it though, just for that small moment.

That's all she would cling onto now, the small pieces of light in her world of dark.

Axel sat at the front desk of the shop mindlessly sketching out some new designs but his mind wasn't in focus. The pencil scraped against the roughness of the paper beneath like the worries in his head scraped against his skull. He knew Gen was going to be okay, she always was. He always admired how strong his sister is, in every aspect, she's overcome so much. She doesn't resent life, she doesn't hold a grudge, she doesn't hate people. She lives.
She keeps going which is something he felt was difficult at the best of times.