Ch. 1: I Know What You Did Last Summer

Elena was headed off to college, and Jeremy was going back to school for his senior year, all of us, except for Damon, living under the same roof.

I walked into the parlor to see Katherine bedraggled and human. 

"It's been a long summer, Kaylin," Katherine told me. 

I smirked. "Katherine." 

*****

Katherine downed a shot. I watched as she poured another. "You're gonna have to cut me off soon. My tolerance is a joke now. It's just so . . . glorious."

"You're miserable," I told her.

"Please," Katherine told me. "I'm Katherine Pierce. I'm a survivor."

"You're a liar," I told her. "Your hair's messed up, your nails are chipped. You're a sad and miserable human being and you want me to turn you. So, here." I bit my wrist open, offering it to her. "Go ahead. Drink up." Katherine held my wrist, tempted and torn. "I'll kill you, you'll bite the mailman, you'll be a vampire again. Go ahead, come on." 

"I can't, okay?" Katherine asked. "No one's ever taken the Cure before. If I die, there's a good chance I may never wake up." 

"And that would be tragic," I told her sarcastically. 

"I remember the time when you and I were the best of friends," Katherine told me. "There's a part of you that doesn't want me to die." 

"What are you doing here, Katherine?" I asked.

The phone rang. 

I reached for the phone to answer.

Katherine beat me to it, answering. "Salvatore residence. Hello, Principal Weber, this is Elena. Oh, dear. We'll find him." She hung up, turning to me. "So Jeremy's been expelled. Elena will be cool with that, right?" 

"When I get back here, you're gone," I told her.

"Wait, Kaylin," Katherine told me. "There's someone chasing me." 

"Then run," I told her. "Run far away." 

"Kaylin, you don't understand," Katherine told me. "I have enemies everywhere. What happens when word gets out that I'm a human? I can't protect myself! I'm weak and I'm slow. Do you have any idea what it's like to run in heels? I have blisters, Kaylin! Please, just .. . help me." 

Katherine's plea for help sounded grudging but desperate.

*****

.

Damon had called me to tell me that Stefan was at the Grill.

I sat next to them at the bar, pouring drinks. "Look Stef, I get why you haven't called Damon back all summer. I wouldn't call him back either.'

"You mean because he stole my girlfriend?" Stefan asked. "I'm over it."

"So why didn't you call me back?" I asked.

"Because I just wanted to give you guys some space," Stefan told me.

"Some space?" I repeated. "From what? I'm your sister. I'm the sibling that you don't hate."  

Stefan looked at me meaningfully as we each took a drink. "Katherine's living at Chateau Salvatore."

"How do you know that?" I asked.

"Because I can ready your mind," Stefan told me. "I'm kidding, sister. Katherine called me first." He looked at Damon. "Remember? It's always been me first."