Ch. 4: For Whom the Bell Tolls

I was driving my car. Damon was in the passenger seat. Amnesia Stefan was in the back seat. 

Stefan was reading a passage from his diary. "'March 12, 1922. I blacked out for days. I woke up in stranger's blood in places I don't recognize with women I don't remember. Kaylin has been around once again.'"

"'We rule the town'," I teased. 

Stefan scoffed. "All right. I think I've read enough." 

"Nada?" I asked.

"I know 'nada' means nothing," Stefan told us. "I know what day it is, I know what year it is, I know this car has a V-8 engine, and yet I am two journals deep, and I have absolutely no memory of who the hell I am."

"Well . . ." Damon trailed off. 

Stefan took a sip from a blood bag. "And, is this supposed to fill me up?" 

"Well, yes, and no," Damon told him. "Technically, yeah, because you're a vampire." 

"Weird," Stefan told us. 

"Realistically no, because you're, you know, you," I told him.

"Ahh, yes," Stefan told us. "The insatiable and blood-lusting vampire, Ripper of Monterrey."

"And we're only in the 1920s, baby," I told him. 

Stefan rolled down the window to throw out the blood bag. "Well, sorry, but this is a lot to process."

Damon grabbed the bag from him, throwing it on the back seat. "You're a vampire, not a cave man."

I looked in the review mirror. "Dude, you got blonde on my seats."

Stefan rolled up his window. "So, let me get this straight." He looked at me. "I helped you steal this car, I found out I was a vampire who killed his own father, and yet I don't litter?" 

"You're a man of principle, Stefan, who had his memories erased by a 2,000-year-old witch," Damon told him.

"Yeah," Stefan said. "Well, I bet that 2,000-year-old witch probably drives a little faster than Kaylin. Let me guess." He patted himself. "Fun brother." He patted Damon. "Safe brother." He patted me. "Angelic sister." I chuckled, exchanging a mischevious look, driving faster. "What are you doing?" 

"Do you trust me?" I asked.

"Do I really have a choice?" Stefan asked.

"Nope," I answered, pulling the emergency brake, making the car slide on the road.

The car flipped around multiple times at a fast speed down the road, totaling it, forcing us out of the car. 

Some pieces on the road were on fire. 

We laid on the road.

Stefan chuckled. "Oh. Oh, ho. Ohh. I got it. You're the mischevious sister." 

Damon chuckled. "Whew." 

I leaned my head back on the road with a smile, looking at my destroyed car.

Bye bye, Ashton Martin Vanquish. 

*****

We were at the Grill the next day.

A guy at the bar held a shot of liquor ringing a bell, gathering everyone's attention. "To Uncle Steve!" 

"To Uncle Steve!" everyone repeated, raising their glasses and drinking.

"Yeah!" I said.

"Wow," Stefan said. "Ah. This town always so upbeat about dead people?"