Ch. 11: 500 Years of Solitude

Katherine had had a heart attack, and she was dying.

I sat in the library with Damon, Matt and Jeremy, pouring shots. "Rule number one: Name the worst thing Katherine Pierce has ever done. Rule number two: Toast to the glory of her impending death. Rule number three: If you come across something that's worse, which you will, repeat rules one and two. She used and abused both of my brothers." I took a shot. "She compelled me to be her best friend." I took a shot. "She laced my wine with vampire blood and got me killed so that I would become a murderous vampire."

I took another shot. 

Damon picked up a shot. "She pretended to be buried in a tomb for 145 years, while I waited for her lying ass." He took a shot, then looked at Jeremy. "Wait . . . Does that beat pretending to be Elena and kissing me on the front porch of your old house?" 

"I don't think so," Jeremy answered. 

"I don't think so either," Damon told him. "Damn."

Damon took a shot.

I handed a shot to Matt. "Quarterback, go."

"Uh . . ." Matt trailed off.

"Think on that," I told him, handing a shot to Jeremy. "Little Gilbert." 

 "She fed me to Silas and I died," Jeremy told us.

"Doozy," Damon told him.

Jeremy took a shot. "Then, she made me crash my car into a pole and left me for dead . . . again."

"Double doozy," Damon told him. "Drink." 

Jeremy took a shot. 

"My sister's dead because of her," Matt told us. 

"Yes, she is," Damon agreed. "Because I wouldn't have even been in town to turn Vicki into a murderous vampire if I wasn't trying to get Katherine out of a tomb she wasn't in."

Matt took a shot, then looked at me. "She's also the reason you compelled me to move on from you and never think about you as my girlfriend ever again, all because you felt guilty about Damon turning Vicki into a vampire and Stefan killing her to save Jeremy and Elena."

"Absolutely, she did," I told him. Matt and I took a shot together. I placed the empty glass down, picking up four, handing one to each of the guys and keeping the last one for myself. "Group shot!" 

Elena, Bonnie and Caroline walked into the room.

"Seriously?" Elena asked. 

"Elena . . ." Matt trailed off. "We're were just . . . uh . . . "

"I know what you're doing," Elena told us, walking closer. She pointed at Jeremy. "You're cut off." The room was silent and awkward. Elena picked up a shot glass. "If anyone is drinking to Katherine's last days, it's going to be me." She took a shot. "She impersonated me . . . repeatedly." She took a shot. "Made Aunt Jenna stab herself in the stomach, and she cut off Uncle John's fingers."

"He might have deserved that," Jeremy told her.

"My Grams died trying to close a tomb she wasn't in," Bonnie told us, taking a shot. 

"Tyler's werewolf curse got triggered because of her," Caroline told us, taking a shot. 

"Klaus followed her to Mystic Falls, and because of that, he turned Stefan and me into killers willing to hurt our own friends," I told them, taking a shot. 

"And we lost Jenna," Elena added.

"And Alaric," Damon added.

We all took shots.