Ch. 13: Total Eclipse of the Heart

Outside the house, I approached Damon's car in front of the door, which had been crashed into a plant pot. I noticed that there was blood on the car's trunk door. I opened the trunk and found Aaron's body in it. I closed the trunk and walked inside. 

Damon was drunk on the couch.

There was broke glass everywhere from drinking from the night before.

"Hey," Damon told me. "Sorry about the mess. I had some company and things got a little out of hand."

Damon tried to sit up.

"You want to tell me what the hell's going on out in the driveway?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Ah," Damon told me. "I let Enzo drive last night. He's a little out of practice." He stood up. "Almost ended up in the damn foyer."

"Huh," I said, giving Damon a significant look.

"Oh," Damon said. "You mean Aaron."

"Yeah," I answered.

"Yeah," Damon said. "Well, last night, we hunted him down, and I ripped his throat out. Yeah. I just figured it's time to shove the last branch of the Whitmore family tree into the . . . wood chipper."

Damon drank from a bottle.

"So Elena breaks up with you, and your first instinct is to go on a killing spree?" I asked with forced curiousness. "Could you be any more predictable?" 

Enzo walked in. "It was my idea if it makes you feel any better." He offered his hand to me. "Enzo. Remember? We met when--"

"When you were trying to tear Damon's head off," I finished. "Yeah. I remember." I turned to face Damon. "So, what, you guys are old pals again, murder buddies, is that it?" 

"Oh, you know how it goes," Damon told me. "I mean, I left him for dead, he tried to kill me, we worked things out. You spend five years with someone in a dungeon, you have a pretty unbreakable bond."

Damon gave Enzo the bottle over my shoulder.

"Say, you haven't heard from Dr. Wes Maxfield by any chance?" Enzo asked. I turned to face him. "Bloke's next on the Augustine hit list, and he's a slippery little devil."

I turned to face Damon. "Is that the plan? Kill of Augustine and then go back to your sadistic, psychotic old self?" 

"I happen to like my old sadistic self, Kaylin," Damon told me. "I miss that guy. That guy was dumb enough to try and change himself to get a girl."

"Hmm," I hummed. 

"So, tell Stefan to get another hobby, sister, because I'm not in the mood to be saved," Damon told me.

"What do you say?" Enzo asked. "Shall we get both of you a new hobby? Golf . . . scrapbooking?" 

"Scrapbooking," Damon agreed. "Well, for Stefan, at least." He looked at me. "I think your hobby's flirting with guys with British accents." I nodded sarcastically. "Since you and Klaus are done, I think I found you another one." 

Damon nodded to Enzo.

"No, thanks," I told them. 

"Oh, why not?" Damon asked. "Because he tried to kill me? News flash, Kaylin, Klaus tried to kill all of us." 

"Come on, Damon," I told him. "You're better than this." 

"On the contrary, sister," Damon told me. "I'm better like this." 

I looked between them, walking out. 

*****