Ch. 16: While You Were Sleeping

In Wes' lab, I was shuffling through the remnants left behind, stumbling upon a tape recorder, playing it. "I've managed to extract the werewolf venom from Nadia Petrova's blood. The addition of the venom will make the Ripper virus even more lethal to vampires." 

"Oh, you've gotta be kidding me," I said. 

"So werewolves are real?" Enzo's voice asked from behind me. I turned to face him in annoyance. "I always thought that, was, you know, a joke."

I was bored. "I don't have time for you, so I don't know what it is you're doing here, but I don't care."

"I'm here for the same reason you are," Enzo told me. "I want this vampire-feeding virus out of our lives."

"Why?" I asked. "You want your killing buddy back? Sorry, but he was my brother long before he was your side-kick."

"Right," Enzo said. "Damon mentioned you get a little territorial. Then again, he also said you have a thing for accents."

I rushed toward him, gripping his throat and pushing him against the wall. "I am trying to save my brother and the girl that both of my brothers love. So forgive me if I don't have the patience for this, or if I never, ever want you to say that ever again."

"Then you're not the least bit impressed that I have the antidote?" Enzo asked.

I hesitated before letting him go, waiting for him to go on.

*****

I called Stefan. 

"Hello?" 

I heard Elena's voice in the backround. "Please tell me that's some good news." 

"Bad news. It's not the same virus."

"What is it?" Stefan asked.

"Dr. Creepenstein was working on the next phase of the virus. When Nadia was sick, he was experimenting on her blood and he figured out a way to extract werewolf venom from her blood and put it in the virus."

"Wait . . . what do you mean, 'werewolf venom'? That means it's fatal."

"Oh, my God," Elena said.

"Hello! You didn't think I would just drop this on you without a silver lining? There's an antidote." Enzo pointed around into the air around us. I gave him a sarcastic look. "It just requires you to come meet me. I'll text you the address."

"Or you could just bring it over here," Stefan told me. 

"No. You have to go there. And don't ask me why, because I can't tell you."

"Kaylin, this doesn't make any sense. Just tell me exactly--" 

"If I could tell you, don't you think I would? I'll text you the address."

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what is going on." 

"The Travelers don't want anyone to know what they're up to, and by 'anyone', I mean, 'newbie, emo witch' types with bad attitudes. Just get there fast, brother, okay?" 

I hung up. 

*****

Enzo and I met up with Stefan and Caroline, arriving at some abandoned train station, talking about Aaron Whitmore.

"He'll tell her," Stefan told us.