Ch. 2: True Lies

Damon and I were enlisting the help of Miss Sheriff Liz Forbes in helping us find Stefan hidden at the bottom of the quarry.

"I know I said I'd help you find your brother, but I can't dredge this entire quarry," Liz told us. "It's enormous."

"We're aware of that," I told her. "I mean, clearly that's why we wanted to dump Silas' body here. Because it's big and deep and no one would find him. Now, say I'm Silas, and I wanna take over my Doppelganger's life. Why wouldn't I dump him in a place that's big and deep where no one would find him?" 

"Kaylin, I already agreed to hold off on telling anyone about the Mayor's death until you figured this all out, but I can't devote those kinds of resources to finding one person who may or may not be down there," Liz told me.

 "But it's a place to start," Damon told her. "And if Stefan's down there, that means he's been drowning over and over again all summer while I've been happily playing house with Elena. Do I need to further elaborate the source of our urgency?" 

"I'll get some deputies on it," Liz told us.

"Thank you, Liz," I told her. Liz walked away. My phone rang. I answered. "Please tell me you found her."

Jeremy was on the other line. "I didn't . . .but Matt did." 

"Huh," I said. 

I heard Katherine's voice in the back round. "Those blue eyes . . . they made me soft. I should've ripped your head off when I had the chance." 

"She was mid-cat-fight with some lady who maced her," Jeremy told me. "We think Silas might have mind-controlled himself some new friends." 

"How exactly did the Gilbert-Donovan brain trust put all that together? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Just hide her. If Silas wants her bad enough to sic the whole town on her, that means we want her more. Stay out of sight. You were the last person who Silas saw her with."

Jeremy hung up. 

I hung up.

*****

Elena called Damon to let know about an embarrassing confrontation with a teacher who she and Caroline assumed to be covering the death of their roommate Megan. "It was mortifying. We just sat there in silence." 

"You want me to beat him up?" 

"Not yet. Whatever he knows, I'm gonna get it out of him." 

"Did you compel him?" 

"No, because chances are, if he knows about vampires, then he also knows about vervain." 

"How about violence? Did you threaten him?"

"No, I didn't threaten him." 

"Would you at least tell me you used torture?" 

"Damon!" 

"You do realize that you are dating a reformed serial killer, right?" 

Elena giggled. "What would a hero do?" 

"Pfft, that, I have no idea."

"Stefan?" 

"I don't know. Probably mope at him." 

"Stefan's here, right now." 

I turned toward Damon. "What?" 

We heard Silas. "Turn off your phone."