Ch. 6: Handle With Care

I thought I heard Stefan's voice downstairs. "Greetings!"

"1," Damon said.

I walked downstairs, seeing--definitely not Stefan--Silas.

"Good morning, frenemies!" Silas told us, walking into the living room, using magic to pull the curtains back. Elena sat up from the couch, staring in disbelief. "Ah. You know, I'm only a few hours into my old life as a witch, but somehow, the sun feels warmer." He walked to the window and let the sun hit his face. "Probably because I'm not cursed with having to outlive it anymore."

"What's with the home invasion, Silas?" I asked.

Silas looked toward me with amusement. "Well, Kaylin, after 2,000 years of a miserable existence, I finally get to die."

*****

"We all know that Tessa was a real vengeful bitch," Silas told us. I raised my eyebrows, nodding sarcastically. Silas looked at Elena. "Your Doppelgänger, Amara, died at her hands, but today, after 2,000 years, Amara and I will finally reunite."

I walked toward him. "All right. Skip the mushy parts."

Damon stood. "Look. My girl here is just trying to have a good day, and there are promises that she's expecting you to keep."

"Oh, you don't think that I keep my promises?" Silas asked.

"You said that now that you're a witch again, you would bring Bonnie back from the Other Side," Elena told him.

"I did and I can," Silas told us.

"And you promised Damon you would do that if he helped you," Elena told him.

"Yeah," Silas answered.

"But you're kind of evil," I told him. "No offense."

"None taken," Silas told me.

"So I'm just trying to figure out how I can trust that one of your last acts in the world will be to bring my best friend back," Elena told him.

Silas a pinky toward her sarcastically. "Did you want me to pinky swear?"

"She's trying to have a good day," Damon told him. "Just tell her how it's going to go down."

"I just want to destroy the Other Side so I don't get stuck in that pit of a purgatory when I finally do kill myself," Silas told us. "Before I do that, I'll bring Bonnie back. And being the amazing and incredible and all-powerful witch I am, I can totally do both things. I just have to find the anchor first and destroy it."

"The anchor?" I repeated.

*****

"New Jersey?" I asked. "The supernatural other-world is bound by an object in Snooki's backyard?"

"It's in a stockyard and it's being shipped out," Silas told us. "So. We really need to..." Jeremy walked the room carrying a crossbow. Silas didn't have to look at him to know he was there. "Hello, Hunter. Banner day for you, huh? Didn't you and the Bennett witch used to..."

Silas clicked his tongue suggestively and whistled.

Elena looked at Silas. "Hey, knock it off. Okay?" She looked at Jeremy. "It's okay, Jer. We all want the same thing today. Silas dead, Bonnie alive."

Silas looked unconvincing. "Yeah."

Damon looked at Jeremy. "AKA, put the damn crossbow down, Pocahontas."