Ch. 21: Promised Land

Damon had come home telling me that Stefan had killed Enzo, who was now residing on the Other Side, and that the Travelers had kidnapped Elena and Stefan.

I had a Traveler tied to a chair, spraying water in his face to wake him up. "Wakey, wakey, Mr . . ." I grabbed an ID tage from the Traveler's shirt, reading it. "Sikes. Head of corporate accounts." The Traveler tried to speak, but his mouth was bound. "Oops. Sorry about that. Yeah. Can't have you mumbling any of those annoying Traveler ditties. It's a sure migrained." 

Damon walked up behind me. "So, here's the deal. Our brother and my girl have both been kidnapped by Travelers and we can't seem to find them anywhere. I mean, like, poof, gone. Right. So besides a completely clueless hybrid in our basement and a cave full of sleeping Travelers, we've got nothing to go on except you. So we're going to need you to tell us where I can find your leader, Markos."

The door opened behind us. 

I didn't have to look behind me to know it was Caroline. "What's up, Blondie?"

"Liv and Luke aren't answering any of my . . ." Caroline trailed off when she saw who we had captive. "Oh, my God! Mr. Sikes?" 

"You know him?" Damon asked.

"Yeah!" Caroline answered. "He helped me open my first savings account. He gave me a lollipop."

"Well, unfortunately, Mr. Sikes here is occupied by some low-life Traveler," Damon told her. "I saw him and his buddies chanting in the Town Square last week. I also know that Markos and your Travler comrades are planning some big, flashy spell to undo some super-boring, ancient, witch curse. And where the sucks for us, it just happens to undo all witch magic, i.e., kill me, my blonde sister and my sexy blonde frenemy here."

"If you know where Markos took Stefan and Elena, you need to tell us," Caroline told him. 

The Traveler tried to speak. 

I mocked him, knowing full well that he couldn't speak with his mouth restrained. "Yep. Sorry. You're going to have to speak up. Hmm. Nope. Didn't quite catch that either." I took a knife, stabbing his leg with in, causing him to mumble in pain. Caroline cringed. "I think he's trying to say something." I removed the cloth from his mouth. "Come on. Say goodbye . . ." 

"It doesn't matter where Markos is," Mr. Sikes/Traveler told us. "Nothing you do can stop him now."

*****

Stefan called me from a payphone.

I had my phone on the table, on speaker, standing across the table from Damon. "Seriously? Collect calls are still a thing?" 

"Yeah, well, you know what could have saved you the cost of this phone call? You finding us. How long have we been gone?" 

"Four days," I answered.

"Four days?! Four days and you two couldn't track us down? What did you think? We were having a nice spa getaway?" 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" Damon told him. "We've been searching 24/7, okay? Maybe if you would've been a little more perceptive, you wouldn't have gotten yourselves doppel-napped."

We heard a window shatter.

"What the hell was that?" I asked.

"Travelers drained us of our blood, so we're having to do a little hunting." 

"You have Elena participating in squirrel slaughter?" Damon asked. 

"Believe me, she's no happier about it than I am."