Ch. 19: Man on Fire

Damon and I went to the Lockwood Mansion to check on the boys.

"Ding dong," I told them, walking inside, because I had already been invited in during Tyler's welcome home party.

Damon stood in the doorway. "Invite me in."

"Kaylin's in here," Matt told him. "We're good."

"Oh, I'm so sorry we interrupted whatever weird ritual you two were doing, but I just want to de-passenger the great citizens of Mystic Falls using your magical Traveler knife, so hand it over," I told him.

"That's gonna be a problem," Matt told us.

"Five words that make me want to vamp-toss my keys into your chest cavity," Damon told him. "Little Gilbert, help me in the fight against my dark side and elaborate, please."

"We can't find it," Jeremy told us. 

"As in you lost it?" I asked.

"As in it's not here," Matt told us.

"You're right," Damon told them. "Don't invite me in because I will kill both of you."

"Tyler said he hid it in the piano," Jeremy told us.

"And when was the last time you heard from Tyler?" I asked.

He was taken over my a passenger. 

*****

Damon and I walked into our house together.

Bonnie had called me.

"How is it Travelers are everywhere until you actually need to find one?" 

Enzo's voice was on the other line. "Hunt going poorly, then?" 

I stopped in confusion. "Why the hell do you have Bonnie's phone?" 

Damon looked at me in confusion. 

I put my phone on speaker, holding it between us. 

"I take it you don't have Stefan's diaries handy. I need you to check his journal for an entry on November 8, 1960." 

"Stefan burned his journals a while ago," Damon told him. "He was in a mood. Why?" 

"Well, just trying to settle a little debate. No matter. I'm right. How are you hanging in there, man? I heard you exiled Elena from your eye line." 

"How'd you hear that?" I asked. "Are you with them right now?" 

"Not for long. I reckon one will be dead soon. Eye for an eye and all that." 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Enzo," Damon told him. "You have your murder voice on. I need you to speak very slowly and calmly and tell us what the hell the problem is."

"The problem, if you must know, is that my girl Maggie, the one who go away, it turns out she didn't get away for long. Your Ripper of a brother took a big bite out of her neck membrane in the '60s." 

"'60s?" I repeated. "Stefan wasn't even--"

"Got to jet. Nothing personal, just a bit of revenge, you understand?" 

Enzo hung up.

I hung up, looking at Damon. "If he kills our brother, I'm killing your friend." 

I walked out of the house. 

Damon hesitated before following me.

*****