Ch. 12: The Devil Inside

Damon, obviously in a good mood, walked into the house carrying a shovel. 

Stefan and I stood a few feet away from each other.

"Where you been?" I asked.

"Just out," Damon answered.

"Define 'out'," Stefan told him. 

"One who hovers and sticks his nose in other people's business," Damon told him. "Oh! Sorry . . .I was defining 'annoying'." 

 Damon started wiping his feet on a mat on the floor.

"That's funny," Stefan told him.

"Katherine's rotting corpse was stinking up the house," Damon told us. "I got rid of it."

"Could be a bit of a problem," I told him.

"Why is that?" Damon asked. 

Nadia stepped into view. "Because I'm here for Katherine's body."

"You're out of luck," Damon told her. "You ain't getting it."

"My mother asked to be buried with her family in Bulgaria," Nadia told us.

"And nothing gives me greater joy than denying her dying wish," Damon told her.

"Damon, who cares?" I asked. "Katherine's dead, we're all happy. Just give her the damn body."

"That bitch ruined our lives," Damon told me. "Her being dead may be enough for you, but it's not enough for me. Nadia has known her what, five minutes?" 

Nadia became very agitated, rushing toward Damon, grabbing his throat. "Tell me where she is."

Damon hit Nadia away from him, pushing her against the wall. "The nicest thing that Katherine Pierce will ever do is feeding the maggots that feast on her flesh. Give it up. You're not getting her back."

Damon relented and loosened his grip on Nadia.

*****

In the Grill, Stefan, Damon and I were enjoying a few drinks together.

"Come on," Damon told us. "Katherine is exactly where she always belonged. I'm not giving the body back." He looked at me. "Kaylin, quit giving me that damn pouty face."

"I'm not giving you the pouty face," I told him. "This is my 'you're being a dick face'. This is the face I make when I'm making the pouty face." I gave him the actual pouty face. Damon rolled his eyes. Stefan smirked. I smiled, shaking my head. "Elena hasn't called you back. It's making you completely miserable."

Damon took a shot. "Yeah. I'm completely miserable." He grabbed a pool stick from the table. "It's your fault for telling me to get her back."

"No," I told him. "You're miserable because you did what you always do. You had a problem, and instead of dealing with it, you cut ties and you ran."

"You're enjoying this a little bit too much," Damon told me. 

Caroline arrived. "Okay. So Bonnie took Jeremy to go visit her mom and neither of them have talked to Elena."

"Who invited you?" Damon asked. "Scram." 

 "I invited her," Stefan answered. "Caroline agreed to help you get Elena back."

Damon approached Caroline. "You? You hate me!" Caroline resisted the urge to say anything. "You once told me that calling me Satan was an insult to Satan."