Ch. 7: Death and the Maiden

Stefan said that Tessa dropped by last night to give Stefan his memories.

Stefan, Damon, Elena and I were sitting together in the parlor.

"October 1852," I told him.

"You broke my nose when Damon was trying to teach us both how to throw a right hook," Stefan answered.

"But not on purpose," I told him. I looked at Elena and Damon. "Just to be clear." 

Elena laughed.

Damon looked at Stefan. "How much did you pay for that hunk of junk motorcycle you ride?" 

Damon smirked.

"That's a trick question," Stefan told him. "You bought me that motorcycle, although I'm guessing it was pretty expensive."

"So Tessa just gave you back your memories, no strings attached," Damon told him. 

"Well, it wasn't exactly a gift," Stefan told us. "It was a lot to take in at once, everything from blowing out the candles on my first birthday cake to drowning in a safe."

*****

"Stefan," Elena said to bring him out of his memories.

Stefan held his glass a little too tight, breaking it in his hand.

"Whoa!" I told him. "Easy there, buddy."

"Stefan, where did ou go?" Elena asked.

'All that and I still can't remember my own strength," Stefan said. "What was that noise?" 

"Uh, well that is . . ." Damon trailed off. 

"We have a situation," Elena told him.

"Of the Doppelganger variety," I told him.

"Yeah," Elena said.

"Katherine?" Stefan asked.

"No, nope," I answered. "Not Katherine." 

*****

We walked downstairs to the cell.

Amara was screaming, trying to pull free from her chains, causing the noise. "I don't know! I don't know."

"What's wrong with her?" Stefan asked.

"Tessa turned her into a block of rock, left her in a box for 2,000 years, probably went a little stir crazy like those deserted island guys who talk to volleyballs," I told him.

"I said I don't know!" Amara said.

"So, you're telling me that this girl is the only thing holding together the Other Side?" Stefan asked.

"Yep," I answered. "She's the Anchor."

"Leave me alone," Amara said.

"As long as she's alive, the Other Side exists, and we can keep trying to get Bonnie from over there," I told him.

"I said I don't know!" Amara said, growing angry.

"Well, considering she's immortal, I'd say we have plenty of opportunity," Stefan told me.

"You'd think, except last night she stuck a hole in Silas' neck, sucked the Cure right out of him, so now she's not only nuts, she's mortal, which means we have to keep her ordinary little human heart beating until we get Bonnie back," I told him.