THREE !

CHAPTER THREE:
ADDICTION.

HIS LIPS FELL against her flustered skin at a punishing pace, pushing her up against the store cupboard's door. nancy shifted uncomfortably, "we should stop," she whispered against his lips, her breath hitching.

"you know that would be a lot more convincing if you weren't trying to pull my shirt up," max smirked, reconnecting their lips with another burst of heat and passion. nancy wrapped her arms around his neck, using one hand to play with his soft, brown hair, wrapping her fingers around the strands.

max moved his lips slowly towards her neck, adding more heat to the fire as a sudden gasp fled from nancy's swollen lips. max's chapped lips placed small kisses in the crook of her neck, making sure not to leave any marks that could give their affair away.

nancy moved to reconnect their lips, slipping her tongue back into his mouth. something about kissing max was so much more special than kissing jake, she felt true sparks as their lips worked together at a quick pace.

the pair pulled away, their breathing shaky and unsteady. nancy rested her forehead against max's as she stared at his perfectly rosy lips.

"nancy!" max said abruptly, pulling away and looking at her with urgency.

nancy was confused.

"nancy!" he called again, this time his face morphing into that of a girl. a face she recognised.

cassidy.

"what?" nancy said, her eyes fluttering open to greet her startled best friend.

"you've been out cold for hours, i was starting to think you died," cassidy replied, lightly slapping her best friend for panicking her so much.

"what happened?" nancy asked, a sudden aching pain flowing into her brain like water spilling from a dam. she sat up steadily, rubbing her eyes and looking around a room she didn't recognise, "where am i?"

"we're still at jake's, neither of us were fit to drive last night so he let us stay. we need to go now though before my mum finds out we didn't actually stay at mine last night so can we get a move on?!" cassidy exclaimed, grabbing her best friends arms and yanking her from the bed.

nancy's legs felt weak. she felt dizzy, all of the memories from the previous night filing in her brain.

him.

his lips moving against hers in perfect motion.

and then came the guilt.

she had cheated on her boyfriend.

her boyfriend who she thought she loved so much.

but if she did, why did she cheat?

——

the following monday at school seemed more sluggish than usual. nancy was on edge. the overpowering fear that someone may have seen her and max in the thrones of passion consuming her every thought. if jake found out she was unsure of how she would cope.

"hey," the comforting voice of her boyfriend spoke as if on cue. if he knew, she was about to find out.

"h-hi," she replied, flashing the boy a soft smile.

"you okay? you seem on edge," jake asked, showing genuine concern for the girl he cared for dearly.

"y-yeah, yeah, why wouldn't i be?"

something nancy had always been bad at was lying. when she lied a stutter found its way into her words and it was a trait known well by people close to her.
jake knew of this however he decided not to pry.

"so, did you and cassidy get caught?" jake said, moving swiftly on from a topic nancy clearly didn't want to discuss.

nancy closed her locker with a huff, "yeah. i'm grounded for the rest of the week."

jake frowned and followed the girl as she began advancing down the corridor, "so i take it that means no me and you time?"

"not until next week, no."

"that's a shame. i'm going to miss your cute little face," jake said, his words soft. nancy felt sick, that was certain. a sickly feeling –– stemming from her overbearing guilt –– built in the pit of her stomach, weighing her down. she had to escape jake's presence, and fast.

"yeah, me too! look, jake, i really wish i could stay and chat but i have a super important chem test next and if i fail miss andrews will kill me so, see you after school?" she rambled.

jake's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "okay," he replied plainly.

nancy smiled and pecked his lips, bidding him goodbye and turning into her chemistry lab. she made her way to her seat to see cassidy already in the seat behind her. "hey, you're here!"

cassidy furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, "where else would i be?"

"you normally skip test days," nancy giggled, her best friends eyes widening in shock, "i take it you didn't study?"

"do you think she'll notice if i leave now?"

nancy parted her lips, a reply ready to come out, when miss andrews entered the classroom. "okay, class, as you are aware today is test day! if you speak after the test is handed out your score will automatically—" she went on, reciting her usual pre-test lecture.

nancy inhaled deeply and pulled out her pen. she looked back at a very desperate-to-pass cassidy and mockingly whispered, "good luck!"

the fiery best friend replied with an obvious middle finger and very tight-lipped smile. nancy bit back her laugh and turned away.

nancy was usually quite good at chemistry. although it wasn't her best subject it wasn't her worst. today, however, she couldn't focus on the lines about ionic bonding when all she could think about was her guilt and jake's poor face if he was to find out.

and him.

he danced around in her mind mockingly as she struggled. no matter how hard he tried, she couldn't forget the thought of his lips on hers. and quite frankly, she didn't particularly want to.

NOTE! hi! so i unpublished this story for
a little while as i finished my harvey fanfic
but it's back up and running and i'm excited!
i hope you are too!
thanks for reading!! x, amelia.