TEN !

CHAPTER TEN:
STAY.

NANCY STUDIED THE boy that sat before her, the flames from his newly lit cigarette illuminating his perfect features.

as usual, nancy had entered the store cupboard for another of their secret rendezvous, only for max to arrive a little over 10 minutes after. when he did eventually show up he took a seat on the plastic, blue chair propped up in the corner, breathing nothing of a syllable to the confused red head he had left waiting.

nancy was confused to say the least. in fact, she was well and truly baffled. the brunette had often entered the store cupboard excited and ready to lock lips with the girl he tried so hard to get off of his mind. his craving for her touch drove him to insanity and so going to the store cupboard became a task he favoured above anything else. today, however, he was off. his face dull, no emotion dancing across his sharp features. he didn't even glance at the girl, he simply sat and pulled out his cigarette as if she was invisible.

it hurt. nancy hated the feeling. the feeling of being invisible to him. "max," she voiced, her tone wobbly.

the pair of hazel eyes met hers finally. max clenched his jaw and puffed out a cloud of smoke, "yes."

nancy sighed, she slid down the wall behind her and crossed her legs. even his voice was bland. "what's up?"

max shook his head, "nothing."

from their time spent together, nancy knew max was stubborn. she knew all to well not to pry into his person life if he built a wall to stop your entry. instead, she moved closer to the boy and placed a comforting hand on his leg. "do you want me to leave?" she asked, her voice steeping to that just above a whisper.

"stay."

nancy nodded. she turned her attention to the chipped, painted bricks on the wall and began counting them out of boredom.

she cared for max. yes, their relationship was simply physical with no strings attached under their terms and conditions, but nevertheless she didn't like seeing him like this. so still, so unresponsive. she knew the feeling and knew it hurt more to be alone in this state. so she stayed in his company for her free period.

after a short while max broke the silence, "are you going to that party tonight?"

"jake wants me to so probably. you?"

max shook his head, throwing his cigarette onto the tiles below, "grace wants me to but it sounds fucking terrible."

"so that's her name, huh? grace?" nancy smirked. she hoped talking about the boy's girlfriend would help him loosen up and forget whatever was bothering him.

max rolled his eyes, "shut up."

"do you like her?"

"she is my girlfriend, nancy."

nancy chuckled and tucked a strand of her fiery hair behind her ear, "i'm only teasing."

"so tonight..." max trailed, his jaw slack and lips trying to force back the smirk that was slowly starting to creep onto his face.

"see you there?"

max shook his head, "i have a better idea." nancy furrowed her brows at the boy, scared at what sort of plan could be stirring up in his head to cause such a smug look to plaster across his face. "how about we skip?"