TWENTY ONE !

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE:
YOU. US.

HER LASHES FLUTTERED against her cheeks as she awoke from her drunken slumber. her eyes focused in on green rug her faced was smushed against as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. nancy tried to weakly push herself up but ultimately gave up when her muscles quivered under pressure.

the pounding on the side of her head now became unbearably noticeable as she elicited a soft groan and looked around at her blurry surroundings. her blurry gaze landed on her brunette best friend sat beside her, staring down at her worriedly.

"dude, i thought you were dead." she spoke with a light laugh, causing nancy to whimper and bring her hands to her ears. she was hungover, yes. "feel like getting off the ground?" cassidy suggested, moving a ginger lock from her friends eyes.

nancy gave a slight nod, "please," she rasped, suddenly aware of how painfully dry her throat was. as cassidy reached her hands down to help pry her friend from the ground, nancy squinted past her to see the door handle on the floor. "what- what happened?"

the brunette glanced behind her. "oh, you locked yourself in the bathroom and we were scared you'd died or something, so i had to break the lock," she casually explained.

the red head nodded in response as the sentence jumbled about in her head, until she focused in on one particular word, "we?"

she then watched as cassidy's eyes trailed up to focus on something else -- or more accurately , someone else.

nancy suddenly became unbearably aware of the other presence residing just outside of her bathroom. even in her drunken state, it didn't take her long to recognise the tall brunette she had fallen so quickly for. the familiar flutter of her heart returned as she froze completely.

as if on cue, he slowly opened the bathroom door and locked eyes with the confused ginger, "nance?"

even after everything, she still loved the way her nickname fell from his pillowy, pink-tinted lips. it made her insides melt and her cheeks burn, even in her post-drunken state.

cassidy's eyes tore from him and back to her friend, and nancy silently pleaded. she didn't exactly know what she was pleading for. an escape route? for cassidy to smack her over the head to avoid a conversation that was bound to end badly?

her breath caught in her desert-like throat when a hand, not belonging to cassidy, landed on her shoulder. she finally, reluctantly, met her eyes with his hazel ones.

and that's when it hit her.

no. it wasn't a flock of butterflies in her stomach or the power of true love taking over. instead it was an urge - an overwhelming urge to empty out every ounce of alcohol she had previously consumed from her stomach.

"i think i'm going to be sick," she announced. her stomach churned and she launched forward to grab the toilet seat that was luckily close by.

her eyes squeezed shut as the taste of bile defiled her mouth. she was thankful for her ginger locks forming some sort of curtain for her as the contents of her stomach fell out into the toilet bowl.

for the second time, she felt a large hand reach out to her and rest on her back. if it wasn't for the disgusting act she was committing she probably would have leaned into his embrace. however, her current predicament was a bit..prohibiting?