FOURTEEN !

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
THE FEELING.

"OKAY, NOW YOU'RE just making numbers up," max growled, dropping his pen onto the ground with a huff.

nancy sighs. "no, look, the oxidation number of oxygen is what?"

his eyes flicker to the periodic table, "uh, negative two?"

"yes! so lithium is a metal, right?" max nods. "and if you combine them, they're what type of compound?"

his brows furrow together, "covalent?"

the red heads shoulders drop. "actually, it's an ionic compound. covalent is when you have two non-metals."

max frowns, rolling onto his back. while the weather outside wasn't all nice and sunny the pair decided to take their chemistry over to nancy's house whilst her parents were still at work. and so, they lay sprawled across her bed drowning in sheets and study books. "why is this so hard? i just fucking give up, i know i'm going to fail anyways!"

"you aren't going to fail, max! you've just got to be patient and i know you'll catch on eventually! plus, lots of people struggle with chemistry," she does her best to comfort the boy but he only huffs, "okay, lets take a break from the chemistry before you end up crying."

max nods, "yes please." nancy smiles before sitting up and chuckling at the distressed boy. "you know, when i found out it was you tutoring me i didn't think there would be much tutoring."

she giggles, "oh yeah? and what were you expecting?"

max rolls his eyes and props himself up onto his shoulders, "you know what i was expecting," he smirks.

nancy smiles, ready to give in to his expectations and engulf in another euphoric high to draw her away from her feelings of anger bubbling towards jake. she begins leaning forward slowly, craving the feeling of his lips on hers. she redirects her stare from his eyes to his lips — and then to his neck. she leans a little closer before spotting the reddish-purplish discolourations that littered the base of his neck.

the girl couldn't deny the slight sickly feeling of discomfort she felt. deciding not to show it, she continued leaning forward until their lips connected.

nancy was unsure as to why max's hickeys made her feel so uneasy. she knew him and grace were still sexually active and so it didn't come as a surprise, more so a burst of jealousy and she couldn't quite understand why.

nancy sat up, placing one of the decorative pillows from cassidy's bed onto her lap, "it's not like he even tried to cover them!"

"i mean, technically he doesn't have to," cassidy began, sprawled across the vibrant bedspread, "they're like honour badges for him, and he must feel real good right now having two girls to fuck," she concluded.

nancy shook her head, "what do i do?"

the brunette sighed, "oh, honey. you already know what i'm going to say." nancy kinked a brow, clueless as to what her best friend was implying. cassidy rolled her eyes, "you like max."

"no i most certainly do not!" nancy hurried to object, "it's just that - things are - we're friends!" she stuttered out, baffled by the brunette's accusation. her nostrils flared when the teen next to her laughed at her choppy reply. "we're closer than we were, yes, but it's not like that. it's sex, plain and simple."

cassidy clicked her tongue and shook her head, "no, no, no. maybe that was true for a period of time, but now it's sex almost every day and on the sexless days you're thinking of past time spent with him and future time to come," she smirked, proud at her snarky but true conclusion.

nancy huffed, shoving her friend lightly before looking down at her finger nails to see that the black polish had nearly all been nervously gnawed away, "that's not true."

cassidy squinted her eyes and decided on a more blunt approach, "do max and this grace fuck as much as you two?"

nancy's eyes widen in doe fashion, "what?! i don't - why would i know that?"

"um, because you're also fucking him? at the very least you deserve to know about his sex life because it affects yours too. if miss perfect gets chlamydia, and he gets chlamydia, chances are you're fucked," she explains.

nancy shrugs, "he said they use condoms because her parents are too religious for birth control."

"atleast he's telling you something," cassidy began, "but dude, imagine if the days he isn't screwing you he's screwing her. that means he's getting it daily. the dude really is a manwhore, huh?"

nancy matched her best friends giggle, but cassidy noticed how the giggle didn't quite reach her eyes. "i know," the ginger commented, a vague frown tracing her lips once the giggles had died down.

"it's okay, you know?" cassidy offered in a more gentle tone.

nancy's clean brows furrow, "hm?"

"it's okay if you like him. even if it wasn't, all morals are kind of out the window for you two now, so" she joked, but earning no laugh in response. "everything is a mess, but that doesn't mean it can't work out. but if you do like him, you need to end things with jake."

nancy bit her lip before shaking her head, "i don't really know what i'm feeling. but, whatever it is, it definitely isn't mutual. he likes grace, like a lot."

"okay, but what if he's in the same boat as you? what if he doesn't know you like him and-"

"i never said that i like him!"

"what if he doesn't know that you might feel something too?" nancy offered no response, she only stared at the pillow on her lap. "maybe, next time you two are together, stop ripping each other's clothes off for a second, and talk. ask him what you guys are to him."

the distressed girl shook her head, "that's a bad idea."

"why?"

"i know him, cass. he doesn't want me like that. for him, it's just sex," she claimed, unconsciously tensing up.

cassidy shrugs, "it was only an idea. i hope you consider it, but it's your choice." nancy nods, thankful the topic had passed. "paint my toes?"

"pink or purple?"

NOTE! nancy b rlly confronting her feelings and shi.
we all need a friend like cassidy tbh.
x, amelia