THIRTEEN !

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
LAB PARTNER.

NANCY CLIMBED INTO cassidy's convertible, dressed perfectly in her black, ripped mom jeans and fern, button up crop top. she smiled to her best friend, her vibrant hair flowing behind her in the subtle breeze.

"hey," cassidy chirped.

"hi," nancy replied, "so, how are you today?"

cassidy sighed and placed her hand on the clutch, causing the car to accelerate and drive away from nancy's house, "i mean, after having a weekend to process it..i still don't agree with what your doing but will support you whatever happens next." nancy smiled thankfully, appreciating having a best friend as supportive as cassidy was. "did you speak to max?"

nancy's brows drew together, "no, i haven't. why do you ask?"

cassidy shrugged, "i don't know. i guess i don't completely understand how this works. i mean, it's weird. i've never even seen you two talk and now that i know you do a lot more than talking, i'm just curious," she explained.

"curious? about what exactly?"

"like is he good?"

nancy looked at the brunette with a puzzled expression, "good?"

cassidy groaned, "god, nance. how is your mind so innocent if you aren't," she continued, "i meant, like, is he good in bed?"

the confused teen's eyes bulged at the bold question. "oh! um, i mean, yeah? yeah, obviously," she answered.

"i figured he'd have to be for you to be cheating on jake just for sex," cassidy concluded, pulling into the school parking lot.

"could we talk about something else please?" nancy's guilty conscience pleaded, gnawing on her lip.

cassidy nodded as the pair stepped out of the newly parked convertible, "okay, but just answer me this," she trailed, "all right, how big is he? because kelsie said he was huge but everyone knows she's kinda full of shit so-"

"cassidy!" nancy gasped in disbelief, "i am not answering that!"

the brunette's hazel orbs rolled, "you don't get to pretend you're prune after what i walked in on friday night."

"cassidy! can you lower your voice?" she urged, looking around to ensure no one heard. thankfully, they were only surrounded by a few students who were to involved in their own conversations to bat and eyelid in the direction of the best friends.

"okay, okay, i'm sorry! speaking of apologies, here's your hubby now," cassidy said, averting her eyes to her best friend's preppy boyfriend approaching, a grin plastered across his face. "he looks happy."

nancy rolled her eyes, "let's see how he gets himself out of this one," she muttered as the boy neared.

"hey, babe," jake chirped, leaning in to kiss nancy on the cheek to which she dodged, expressing her frustration with the boy. "kingston," he said, offering a small nod in cassidy's direction.

"worthinton," she replied before turning and placing a comforting hand on nancy's shoulder, "see you at lunch?" nancy smiled to her best friend and nodded. cassidy returned the smile before turning to jake and forcing a cold stare upon him, defending her best friends hurt heart.

"are you okay?" jake asked as the pair began walking, nancy refusing his hand that reached for hers.

"i'm fine," she replied, a faux smile tugging on her lips.

after their argument in the car a few days prior, nancy had ignored her boyfriend's calls and apologetic texts all weekend. jake assumed they would bounce back like they did after every fight, but nancy couldn't ignore the aggressive side of him any longer. he only seemed to care for himself nowadays and refused to see her side of things and therefore nancy was in no rush to smooth things over.

jake sighed, "come on, nance! how long are you going to be mad at me for? i've apologised a thousand times," he complained.

her eyes narrowed before pointing her glare, "a couple more times couldn't hurt," she seethed, clutching her folder to her chest tightly.

"you can't stay mad at me forever," he claimed. nancy's lips stayed shut, not wanting to partake in his circle of pathetic claims any longer. "don't you think it's getting a little pathetic?"

nancy turned to the boy and plastered a faux smile across her glossed lips, "only as pathetic as your excuses," she chirped falsely, "see you later!" she turned into her biology lab and slumped into her seat, only to find an unusual presence beside her.

she turned to face the boy who she recognised instantly, "where's rachel?"

the familiar face sighed, "up front. mr hunt assigned new seats and i guess now we're stuck together."

nancy's eyebrows furrowed, "why do you say it with such spite? am i a bad lab partner?"

the boy chuckled dryly, "it's nothing to do with you, nancy. it's your boyfriend i have an issue with."

"yeah," the red head sighed, "he was quite harsh on you. i'm sorry for all of it, harvey."

harvey shrugged, "it's whatever. i have new friends now so i couldn't care less about the prick." harvey mills was certainly a presence nancy had missed. they were quite close at one time when he was still close with her boyfriend, but once their friendship fell apart jake had warned nancy not to engage in any conversation with the boy. "anyway, what's up with you? you arrived in quite a huff."

"well, one thing that's still the same since you left is jake's tendency to be a dick."

harvey chuckled, "sounds about right. i always knew you could do so much better than him."

little did he know, she had recently figured that out herself with the help of his twin brother. not that she could do better with max, that's not what she meant. max just helped her see how boys were meant to treat a girl. not that max treated her like a girlfriend — he couldn't possibly like her like that nor could she like him like that. right?

"y-yeah."

NOTE! i hate this chapter but i wanted to
add harvey into the story so here he is!!!!
the tea is coming i promise! very soon actually
x, amelia