FIVE !

CHAPTER FIVE:
PRINCESS.

NANCY WATCHED INTENSELY as the clock ticked by. each tick resonating in her ears as if coming through a loud speaker next to her head. for most students, when the hand on the clock hit 3 they would be released from hell for another day. for nancy, however, that was not the case.

she was nervous. she had never been one to feel comfortable talking to people she didn't know, either cassidy or jake did that for her. they allowed her to get a feel for the person before engaging in a conversation with them. however, this time she was alone. discussing something as boring as chemistry with a complete stranger.

for all she knew, this stranger could be rotten. some annoying pupil that refused to listen and gave her a hard time for being a 'goody-two-shoes." or they could be some random person she had never met. one of the awkward students that hide away and eat their lunches in the toilets. she couldn't decide what would be worse.

her thoughts were cut short by the alarming sound of the school bell, everyone around her leaving the classroom in hurds and all struggling to get through the door at once.

nancy stood slowly, nodded towards her english teacher and then left. she slowly made her way to the picnic tables around the back of the school building. to her surprise, no one had arrived just yet, giving her more time to prepare for the worst.

she pulled her folders from her bag and scattered them along the table with a huff. she tied her fiery-red locks up into a ponytail to avoid further annoyance from the wind.

"so here's the plan," a familiar, but unfamiliar, voice sounded from behind, "we both leave now but pretend you helped me. sound good?"

nancy rolled her eyes and craned her neck to face the unknown presence, "no, we have to—"

there he stood. his chestnut hair perched upon his perfectly structured face, his smug grin making nancy's heart skip a beat. his arms where folded across his chest and he cocked an eyebrow to the red head, "hello?" he spoke, mockingly.

she couldn't move. she was quite literally frozen. the boy seemed to be everywhere she looked, the party, the diner, and now she had the unfortunate job of educating him on chemistry. the universe was really after her, or so it seemed.

nancy narrowed her eyes, "sit down. let's get this over with."

surprisingly, max did just that. he walked over to the girl and took the seat opposite her, "whatever you say, princess."

"i'm not your princess," nancy scoffed.

"i never said you were, princess."

"don't call me that, you're not my boyfriend."

max's arrogant grin grew wider, "and you're not my girlfriend," he returned, his voice filled with sarcasm.

nancy rolled her eyes in annoyance. he certainly had a way of getting under her skin. "let's just get this chemistry done so we can go home."

"why such a rush? you going out with your boyfriend again?" max asked, raising his eyebrows at the girl cockily.

"w-what?"

"worthington. or, did you guys break up?" max continued, "did he find out about our kis-"

nancy slapped her hand across the boys mouth, her eyes wide in fear. max's eyes were filled with amusement as a small chuckle resonated in the back of his throat, unable to come out with nancy's firm grip across his lips.

nancy peered over her shoulders, "can you be quiet?"

"who, me?"

"wipe that smirk of your face, mills. you aren't funny," nancy huffed.

max's chuckle finally found its way out, "sorry, princess. you still haven't told him?"

nancy shook her head shamefully. she knew she needed to tell him, it was the right thing to do. but how do you tell someone you care so deeply for something that will undoubtedly hurt them? maybe she was being selfish, trying to prevent hurting herself but hurting him even more in the process. the longer she waited, the worse the outcome would be. she knew that, so why couldn't she admit to her mistake?

"that's harsh, love. poor worthingon is going to be crushed losing to me again," max spoke, running his fingers through his chestnut hair, "what can i say, i'm irresistible."

nancy narrowed her eyes at the boy in disgust, "it was a stupid mistake, i'd take it back in a heart beat if i could."

max chuckled and leaned closer to the girl, folding his arms on top of each other on the table, "that still doesn't change the fact that you cheated."

he was right, and that annoyed her. "what about you? getting a new girlfriend not long after you and kelsie break up?"

"are you jealous, princess?"

nancy scoffed, "get over yourself." she thought back to the previous night. the blonde locking lips with max at the diner, dressed in a skin tight red piece, a denim jacket hanging perfectly across her shoulders. she was pretty, like someone you'd see on the front of a magazine, and for some reason that made nancy despise her. jealous she was. she didn't know why, but she was. so utterly jealous.

max chuckled, enjoying just how much he was annoying the girl, "this has been fun, but i have to go," he stood from the table and began walking away. nancy watched dumbfounded as he walked. max stopped for a second and turned back to face her, "same time next week," he smiled, before turning a walking away again.

"what?" nancy whispered to herself, looking at the chemistry books scattered on the table.

it was worse than she ever could have imagined.

——

"how bad was it?"

nancy lay sprawled across her best friend's bed, staring up at the ceiling in disbelief, "on a scale from one to ten— a solid twelve," she huffed.

"that bad, huh?"

of course, nancy hadn't told cassidy of her deed. although she trusted her more than any person in the world, she couldn't risk it getting out. as far as cassidy was aware nancy was just annoyed that she had to tutor the knowingly arrogant max mills, which wasn't totally incorrect. "he just won't listen to me! if he doesn't get a good grade on the next test i'm screwed," she complained.

cassidy flopped down onto the bed beside her best friend, "why don't you just explain to miss andrews that you can't do it?"

it was a logical plan. a way to avoid max and get him out of her life as much as possible. if nancy knew it was the right thing to do, why couldn't she do it? more importantly, why didn't she want to do it?

NOTE! helloooo! so i'm trying to update
this book as much as possible because i'm getting
such a rush of inspiration i love it.
what we thinking so far?? in other words i'm insecure so pls give me validation ahahah. x, amelia