XVII

A floating piece of wood coming from the ship drifted past Jungkook.

"Jim-Jimin," he stuttered, moving his hand to grab the plank.

"Get... get on t-the t-thing," he said, nudging his head towards the wooden surface barely big enough to carry a child.

His weak hand pulled the wood closer and pushed it towards Jimin.

"It's n-not big enough f-for both of us," Jimin objected, shaking his head as the feeling in his body started fading away.

"F-flower... get on.. the board," Jungkook ordered authoritevly, ignoring Jimin's argument as his eyelids started slipping shut from time to time.

Jimin took shuddering breaths, wanting to go against the young man again, but did as Jungkook said anyway, pulling himself onto the board even as his limbs were frozen.

"G-good..." Jungkook whispered, nodding his head though it looked more like he was twitching. "G-good..."

Jimin held Jungkook's hands in his own, feeling his only light in the dark and cold night grow weaker and weaker.

"Stay with me my prince... don't let go," he said quietly, "please don't let go..."

Jungkook's eyes kept closing, his conciousness slipping further and further away.

"I l-love you... s-so much," he mumbled, his brain starting to forget how to form words. "You are... m-my l-life..."

"No... don't say that... I'm not going on without you Jungkook stop," Jimin begged, tears escaping his eyes though they froze to his skin the moment they fell.

"F-flower," Jungkook said, putting Jimin's hand against his lips though there was no warmth to be found.

"P-promise me, you'll n-never f-forget to l-look up at t-the stars f-for me..." he said, his voice falling apart on the last words.

Jimin released a chocked sob, reaching out his trembling hand to stroke his prince's pale face.

"I p-promise... I promise Jungkook I promise," he cried, seeing Jungkook subtely edge his lips up into a soft, content smile at his answer.

Jimin waited for the next time Jungkook would open his eyes, hoping for the boy look at him again, look at him the way he had done the very first night they met. The way his eyes had widened with that smug smirk when he'd called Jimin beautiful. The way he'd cocked his head like a puppy and saw Jimin for who he was. His blunt questions, his romantic sayings, his kind heart. So much had grown from that first meeting, so much longing Jimin held for that look. So much he would give to see it again.

But the longer Jimin waited, the more blue Jungook's face became, and Jimin's vision started blurring as time went on.

The crashing waves that lulled Jimin to sleep swayed him around, bringing him into a dream he'd never remember.

Perhaps he'd dreamt of the night he and Jungkook danced together, in the warm light below the ship with people clapping and laughing and cheering. Perhaps it was the moment Jungkook had drawn him so elegantly, the tension and fear that had turned Jimin's cheeks red. Or maybe, their intimate night, when Jungkook had shown Jimin a feeling he'd never known before, the way a word could make one moan and a simple touch could make one swear.

A bright light shone through Jimin's dream, accompenied by the shouting of a man.

"Anyone? Is anyone alive?!"

Jimin's eyes fluttered as he squinted against the light.

Had god come to get him, was he finally dead?