Lowlands

Evelyn

I have to be dreaming!

It's as if fate slapped me in the face and gave me a wake-up call.

That's a terrible way to describe it but that's all I can come up with at the moment.

"James Kidd." I said to myself over and over again.

My heart was beating so fast I feared it would jump right out of my chest. His smile was the finest treasure I had ever known, his mere presence brought a flock of butterflies in my stomach.

It took everything out of me to take the scrambled words from in my head and unscrambled them to form a sentence that actually made sense.

"Miss Thatch, it be time for us to be meeting your brother." one of my guards, Sammy, said with a small smile.

I followed behind him with the other guard, Cole following behind me. As we walked through the streets of Havana I yearned to see James again, every time I saw a piece of red clothing my heart would skip several beats and then I would feel let down when it wasn't him.

"Evelyn." my brother called me from the inside of an empty Tavern, by his side was his beautiful fiancee Mary. She was always so sweet to me and would make sure I had the nicest dresses. Thatch and Mary had been together for ages but for her safety, their relationship was kept secret

Much like my existence.

I sat down at the table with the two of them, Eddy had a smile stretched across his face so did Mary. They ignored me a bit since they were whispering to each other.

"Excuse me." I said as I cleared my throat.

They both snapped out of their lovers trance and acknowledged me fully. Mary waved at me and pointed excitedly at the new band on her ring finger.

"Married? Oh Eddy why wasn't I invited?" I said as Mary showed off her beautiful gold ring.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. Eddy was free to do what he wanted and to fall in love. Mary and Eddy were so full of love for each other and I wanted that with someone but I wasn't even supposed to leave the ship.

"We'll be leaving for a short time and you will be here on the island with armed guards." Eddy said as he waved a slew of armed intimidating Blackbeard guards over.

I'm sure my mouth was to the floor, Eddy just gave me a curious look as I tried to translate what he said in English.

"I'll be in Havana...alone?" I repeated, I was ready for him to tell me it was all a big joke.

Oh, but he wouldn't be laughing when I shave his beard off in his sleep.

"With guards." Eddy repeated and gestured towards the men with weapons who looked like they've killed at least fifty people each. Maybe even more but it would frighten me to go any higher.

Mary placed a key on the table and I firmly grasped it in my hands like it was my final prayer to christ.

"Don't betray my trust Evie." Eddy said with his icy blues staring into my soul.

I nodded.

Eddy gave me the rundown, the men were to patrol the house and guard me until he got back from his short honeymoon. The best part was that if anyone asked why I had guards following me I could say I was royalty which was pretty cool.

I gave my brother a hug before I left despite his disdain for hugs, Mary remarked how she would bring me back something beautiful before she hugged me goodbye.