The Date

Evelyn

I waited by the windmill with a pack of butterflies fluttering about in my stomach, I couldn't stand still at all and found myself pacing back and forth while I fiddled with the tiny ring on my right hand.

I memorized a greeting, what if we have nothing in common though? What if he's not what I imagined at all? I don't even know if I look decent enough.

"Evelyn! Sorry, I'm late that idiot Kenway was holding me up." James exclaimed as he greeted me with a wave. In his right hand, he gently held a beautiful red rose he glimpsed at it before he placed it into my hands.

It was the most beautiful rose I had ever seen in my life, it had seemed to glow and its red was so bright it looked as if the sun painted its colors onto a white canvas.

"Thank you, James, it's beautiful." I blushed and brought the rose to my nose.

I swore that there was a blush on James' face but when he noticed me looking he looked away. He was so sweet it hurt.

"What would you like to do today?" he stammered on his words.

Little does he know that I'm ten times more nervous than he was.

When my brother went on dates, he and Mary would just drink and go sailing. On their more extravagant date nights, they would harass a few schooners for their wares but that was about it. Mary was perfect for Eddy, they were practically the same person.

"I have to admit James, I've never done this before." I admitted.

James gave me the most curious look, confusion written all over his face before it turned to a small smile.

"Well, that's alright. We'll go to the beach, you love the ocean right?" he asked, I nodded.

"How did you know?"

He chuckled "Just a guess, come on."

James held his hand out, I blushed before I held his. His grasp was warm and rugged, I felt safe with him by my side as we walked towards the beach together.

...

We sat near the small waves on an isolated part of the beach, the sound of waves crashing and the breeze that danced through the trees felt like home.

"I take it you like traveling the seas?" James asked, his smooth voice entered my thoughts. I looked over at him, he was calmly examining a small seashell before he chucked it back into the water.

"Traveling wouldn't even begin to explain my relationship with the sea. Poseidon and I are close friends." I laughed.

James nodded and then let out a heavy sigh, he furrowed his brow as he looked at the white sands. I did something wrong, didn't I? Was it something I said?

James

As she spoke thoughts of Thatch and his infidelities snuck in my head. Blast that damn Thatch, I'd quit my life as a pirate to see the world with her.

"James, is something wrong?" her voice was small and worried.

I'm gonna do it, I just have to say it to get it over with. It's like ripping off a bandage or removing a bullet, the quicker the better.

"Listen I know this is going to hurt,"

She raised her eyebrow before she sat up from her relaxed position.

"What on Earth are y-"

"I know Thatch is your lover but, he's seeing another Lass. She's a blonde, that's all I know I swear it." I finished.