12. Lanie, Interrupted

After Lanie and I spent a while swimming, we eventually had to make our way back to the beach and join the party. There were a few games of cornhole and beach volleyball going on that we participated in. I had to admit, it wasn't all that bad. I stuck mostly around my friends and Ryan. A few of his cousins seemed pretty cool and down-to-earth and they played a game of beach volleyball with us.

Jackson stayed...around. We haven't talked or anything yet today. Danielle, of course, was still pursuing him. There were a few times I would catch him with his eyes on me. For example, whenever it was my turn to serve the volleyball, I could feel his gaze on me like a hot caress. Whenever the volleyball fell in front of me, I would slowly bend to pick it up, knowing he was watching. Not to mention, since I was wearing sunglasses, I was able to throw some lustful looks at him myself.

After the quickie we had last night on the beach, we made sure we were on the same page regarding how this would work. As we agreed before, neither of us would sleep with anyone else while we were messing around. Most importantly, we would keep this to ourselves and try to be as careful as possible. It wasn't easy though. Even at this moment, I wanted nothing more than to go kiss him and show Danielle that he is mine. He isn't yours, my inner voice reminded me. It was true, he didn't belong to me and I didn't belong to him. Oddly enough, it felt differently.

We were having a cookout tonight, so everyone was seated, either at a table or in the sand, eating some hot dogs and hamburgers. I was surprised Ryan's parents allowed them to have such "regular food". I was expecting escargot or something gross. Like squid. Someone had turned on some music and a few people were dancing on the beach. It actually looked like fun. I caught myself wishing I could dance with Jackson right now but that could draw attention to our situation.

We were laughing at something Jamie had said when I heard Ryan's voice.

"Anne, are you busy?"

"No, babe. What's up?"

He smiled as he held his hand out to me. "Would you like to dance?"

Yes, with Jackson. "Sure."

I let him take me by the hand and pull my body against his. We started swaying to the music and it felt nice. I've always loved dancing. I should really try to do it more.

"How are you holding up?" He asked me quietly.

A small laugh escaped me. "This is surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. At least, not yet. How about you?"

"Yeah, so far so good. We're having my bachelor party tomorrow night. Are you and the girls doing yours?"

I let out a long breath as I glanced in my mom's direction. "Yeah, we are. I told the girls not to go too crazy, but I'm reconsidering that just to piss off my mom."

Ryan laughed. "Yeah, same here. My parents are against it. I don't really care though. We're doing what they want, so we deserve to have some fun."

"May I cut in?"

Jackson's voice sent chills through my body, as always. He looked from me to Ryan with a smile.

"I would be honored to dance with my brother's future bride."

"Of course, you can," Ryan said with a clueless smile. "As long as you don't mind me dancing with Danielle. She doesn't have a dance partner."

"Of course not," Jackson answered.

Jackson put his hand around my waist and placed his free hand in mine. "Hey, Princess."

"Hey, yourself. Don't you think this is risky?" I asked even though I was beaming right now.