21. In An Instant

"Everything can change in an instant. Everything. And then there is only before and after." --Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

"That's when I caught Ryan sneaking Ehlena into his room," Jackson's mom said with an amused smile.

Everyone laughed as Ryan buried his face in his hands with embarrassment to Everly's story. It's been five days since we first arrived in London. We spent the days visiting Everly and sometimes taking shifts.

The more time I spent with her, the more I started to see what Ryan meant when he explain the type of person she was. It was very hard not to love her. She was what a mother should be. She was considerate with not only Jackson, but Ryan to. She was loving and kind. She wasn't selfish in the least. Well, maybe in regards to the coffee that Jackson kept denying her.

When I watched the two of them go back and forth with their little banter, I couldn't help but smile. I was also getting more worried. I could see how much she meant to Jackson and if she passed, this was going to destroy him.

I thought back to the conversation I had with Jackson's mom when she told me all of that personal information. After we left that day Jackson had waited until Ryan left to go pick up some dinner before he pulled me aside.

"Princess, can I ask you a question?"

I was sitting on the couch folding some laundry when he came and stood in front of me. "Of course," I answered.

"When you were alone with my mother today, what did you talk about?"

I knew this question was going to come up. I knew the second he had walked back into the room and looked at both of us with suspicion. And I'm sure he knew his mother well enough to know that she told me something. I tried to think of what I would say to him when he asked me. Unfortunately, that didn't help me at all. The idea of lying to Jackson just didn't sit well with me.

"Jackson, that was between she and I."

His mouth dropped open at my answer. I could tell was not expecting that. "You would really keep that from me?"

I chose to be as honest as I could with him. "No, Jackson. That's not what I'm doing. I wouldn't try to keep something from you. She told me some things in confidence and made me promise not to tell anyone."

He scoffed as he started pacing. "Her and her bloody promises. She knows nothing good comes of them." He stopped pacing and came back to where I was sitting on the couch. He knelt before me when he spoke again. "I have to know if she said anything about her condition. Please, Princess. If you know something about her health...tell me."

The terrified look in his eyes nearly broke my heart. I reached out and grabbed his hand. I brought it to my chest and placed it over my heart. "If she tells me anything about that, I promise I will tell you, Jackson."

"What if-- What if she..."

I placed a finger to his lips. "Shh...try not to think like that. I know it seems impossible, but enjoy this time with her, Jackson." I moved my hand to the side of his face when I added, "If and when that happens, you won't be alone. Ryan will be here. I will be here."

The sound of Ryan's voice brought my thoughts back to the present. "The only reason I got caught, is because Jay insisted that Mom was working late that day."

"I thought she was!" Jackson quipped.

"Yeah, well," Ryan breathed sarcastically, "We know how that turned out."