18. The Ties That Bind

"Anne. Anne, wake up."

The sound of Ryan's voice woke me, and I stretched in my seat in first class. The flight from Hawaii to London Heathrow was about 20 hours including our short layover in San Francisco.

Before we left the hotel to go to the airport, Ryan explain to me how it went when he talked to our parents. His dad, of course, was understanding and helped pay for the flight. He also said if we needed anything to let him know. I was a little surprised by that, but he was Jackson's father and he did have a relationship with his mom once upon a time.

Ryan's mom, just like mine, was a little irritated that he wanted to leave the country while we were planning a wedding. Ryan said his father came to his defense on that one. Then Ryan explained the awkward situation with my parents. My mom freaked out and my dad had to talk her down.

Ryan said she kept going on and on, stating that I was trying, yet again to ruin this. Ryan very, pointed out that he didn't think I was capable of causing cancer as a way to get out of a wedding. Well, knowing my mother she did not appreciate his sense of humor. My dad, on the other hand, laughed his ass off.

My dad passed by my room before we left for the airport to tell me goodbye. I was actually surprised by his reaction to this. He wanted to see this wedding through just as much as my mom, but I'm glad that he understood how important this was. He also told me that my mom wasn't feeling well, and she wasn't going to see me before I left. Yeah, okay. I was fine with that.

The flight to London wasn't too bad. I've never been on a plane for that long, so I definitely got a little uncomfortable and tried to stretch my legs as much as I could. Jackson sat behind us during the flight. A few times when Ryan got up to use the restroom Jackson would sit beside me and talk to me for a little while. Ryan didn't think anything of it, thankfully.

The three of us were standing outside of the Heathrow Airport while Jackson was getting us a cab. He said we could stay at his apartment since he had a two bedroom. When he offered, his eyes met mine and I wasn't exactly sure what message he was trying to send me. Did I want to stay in his apartment? Yes. Did I want to share a bedroom in his apartment with Ryan? No. But this trip wasn't about me and Jackson hooking up. It was about being there for him and his mom.

"After you," Jackson said when he opened the cab's door for me.

"Thank you."

I slid into the back seat and waited patiently while Ryan and Jackson loaded the luggage into the trunk. Once they were done, Jackson got in the front and Ryan split in the back seat beside me.

"I figure we can go by my apartment first to drop off the luggage and shower," Jackson said as the driver merged onto the freeway.

"Sure, sounds good, man," Ryan answered.

I got lost in my thoughts as I kept my gaze out of the window. Even with everything going on, I found myself fascinated by the busy streets of London. It was odd to see the many cars driving on the opposite side of the road. Not to mention, but different types of cars here. When we pass a double-decker bus, I couldn't help but stare transfixed. We definitely weren't in the states anymore.

"It's a bit different than what you're used to, isn't it?"

The sound of Jackson's voice had my eyes immediately going in his direction. He had his sun visor down and I met his eyes in the mirror.

"Very. This is definitely nothing like New York. I don't think I could even drive here if I tried," I said with a laugh.

Ryan snorted. "Like you can even drive well back home."