43| Birthday Surprise (Bonus Chapter)

"There will be absolutely no singing," I said for the tenth time to Lanie.

"Why not? It's your birthday!"

We were currently sitting in my favorite restaurant waiting for the server to bring the cake. My best friend wanted to take me out just the two of us. It's been two months since Ryan and Danielle's wedding in Bora Bora. Once we got back to the States, Jackson and I went through an adjustment period after he moved in with me. We both decided it was best to get a new place that was completely ours; and after two weeks of searching, we found a very nice two bedroom apartment.

I'll be the first to admit-- I've never lived with a man before. Then again, I've never been in love before either. Everything was new and exciting. But it was also frustrating. Jackson and I were both stubborn in our own ways. If we weren't careful, it led to little arguments. Arguments that usually ended with us naked and Jackson making me scream his name over and over again. It was fighting seemed to turn us both on.

"Here it comes," Lanie said in a sing song voice. She eyed the cake like a starving bear.

"Here we are," the waiter said as he sat it in front of us. "Happy birthday to you," he said to me with a smile.

"Thank you."

"Let's eat!" Lanie grabbed her fork and reached to take a bite out of the cake.

"Hey!" I said and swatted her hand. "It's my birthday. I get the first piece. Besides," I said as I cut us both a piece of the triple chocolate cake, "this is your favorite cake. I don't think it's a coincidence."

"What?" She asked with feigned innocence. "I told you they were out of the raspberry cake!"

I snorted as I took a bite. "It's okay." I drank a sip of my water before I looked at her curiously. "So, how was it?"

"How was what?"

"Don't play stupid with me, Lanie. I'm better at it than you."

She let out a heavy sigh. Jaime had set Lanie up on a blind date a few nights ago. Ever since Bora Bora, she was convinced that she wasn't going to get a Greek God of her own. My best friend was never lucky in the relationship department; but I still had hope for her.

"It...it was terrible," she said with a groan. "First off, he made me pay for my portion of dinner. Then, he kept checking the game on his cell phone. And the cherry on top was when he invited me over to his place."

I tried my best to hold back my laughter. "Aside from being a cheap idiot, why was taking you home bad?"

"Oh, it wasn't his house. At least, not just his."

"Oh, no!"

"Yep!" She said and slammed her hand on the table. "He still lives with his parents!"

I threw back my head as I laughed. Poor Lanie. "I'm sorry," I said with a chuckle. "Listen to me, Lanie. I have a feeling you'll be meeting someone soon. Then you'll have your own Greek God to drive you nuts."

She shook her head at me. "I don't know, Harp. I think I'm going to be a spinster."

"We can't have that," I quipped. "How's Nate?"

"He's good. He should be coming home for leave." She beamed at me as she continued, "I can't wait, Harper. I haven't seen him in almost a year."

"That's great!"

Nate has been in the service since he finished college. This was supposed to be his last tour and it was finally almost over. I just prayed that he returned home safely. Lanie wouldn't be able to handle the loss of her brother. She barely made it through her parents' death.