39. Bomb...Dropped PT. 1

"Listen up, everyone! We will be starting in just a few minutes." My mother called as she clapped her hands to get everyone's attention. We were currently standing in the backyard of Ryan's dad's large estate in upstate New York where the wedding will take place in two days.

As much as I didn't want to be here, I couldn't help but admire the beautiful landscaping. The house, or mansion, sat on ten acres. The grass was well maintained, there were dozens of large willow trees on the property, and colorful mixtures of flowers around the white house. The house sat on a large lake that had a beautiful sunset.

We were currently all standing outside, waiting for instruction on how they wanted us to proceed. Everyone included all those participating in the wedding. Me, Ryan, Danielle, Lanie, Jamie, two of Ryan's college friends, and the best man. Jackson. I've done a pretty good job of avoiding him so far. There were a few times my eyes wandered in his direction, and each time, he was watching me with an odd expression.

I haven't spoken to him since I blocked his number. To be honest, a little part of me hoped he would come by my place or call me from his hotel room to apologize, or just tell me why. But, he didn't do any of those things. It's been complete radio silence. I glanced over to Ryan, who was standing next to me. He was sending longing looks to Danielle who was laughing with Lanie about something.

"How has it been with you guys?" I asked him curiously. After I convinced him to talk to her, she told me they had gotten back together. Even though it hurt me to see them so happy, so in love, I was glad that they had each other.

"It's been great, actually," he said with a smile. "I'm glad I listened to you. She's pretty incredible."

I laughed. "Yeah, but she's a handful. I love her to death, but Ryan, fair warning: she's high maintenance."

"Yeah, I know," he sighed lovingly. Man, he had it bad. "So, have you spoken to Jackson?"

His question surprised me and I glanced at him with wide eyes. "Why would I, after what he did?"

He had an odd exoression on his face when he looked at me. Like there was something he knew and wasn't telling me. Did Jackson do more than just kiss that girl? Did Ryan know that Jackson may have been with other women while he was with me? Before Ryan could answer me, my mom came over to us.

"Ryan, we're starting. I need you to stand by the alter." Ryan glanced at me before doing what my mother told him. She looked back to me and stayed silent. We hadn't spoken since I left her house after getting my job back.

I started to walk away before she stopped me. "Harper, wait." I stopped but didn't turn towards her. "I want to-- Uh, apologize."

"For what?" I asked as I finally turned towards her and crossed my arms over my chest. "For almost costing me my job for your own selfish reasons?"

"Yes," she admitted through clenched teeth. Wow, she couldn't even give me a genuine apology.

"Sure, Mom. You're forgiven, if that makes you feel better." I let out a long breath. "The rehearsal is starting. I need to go find dad."

I left her without another word and headed to where my father was standing. I haven't spoken to my father much since everything happened either. I did find out that he didn't know what my mother did. He was upset about it and he apologized sincerely for it. He admitted he was ashamed that I might have had to quit and was relieved that Ryan was able to find a way for me to stay. Even though I was upset about the other stipulations in the document regarding the merger, which they still didn't know that I had a copy of, I was on better terms with him than my mother.