33. Queen of Secrets

"So, as you see, I didn't send this in," I explained to to the principal at the school where I teach. Or where I used to teach unless they disregarded this resignation letter.

After the awkward non-double date dinner on Saturday with Ryan and Danielle, Jackson and I actually had a really enjoyable date of our own in our hotel room. Just like he promised.

We spent our last night away from the city relishing in the pleasure of each other's company. Jackson had taken me over and over again that night. And I definitely wasn't complaining. Sometimes it was fast and rough, like I liked it; and others it was slow and tender.

Something was different that night between us. It was as if we both knew that once we returned back to the city, things are going to be different. Not necessarily between us, but just different in general. I didn't know if it was because we were planning on telling Ryan, or because my job was at stake.

When I got dropped off to my apartment on Sunday evening, I immediately wanted to leave again. Just as I feared, my troubles would be waiting for me when I got back. There was a note from my mom on the table, which basically stated that I better not be running. And I also noticed my shattered cell phone was still on the carpet.

Jackson and I ended up stopping on the way home and picking up a new phone for me. I didn't turn it on until this morning. I knew that once I did, I would have probably ten or more messages from my mother.

"I see," Principal Morgan said, bringing my thoughts back to the current issue. "Well, we definitely don't want to lose you. Can we be sure this mistake wont happen again?" She asked with a firm tone.

I knew this whole mess was extremely unprofessional and I was completely embarrassed by it. Once I saw my mother, we were definitely going to have words. This was no big deal for her. For me...it was everything.

"I promise this won't happen again," I vowed.

Principal Morgan stood from her desk and offered her hand to me with a smile. "We'll see you in the fall, Miss Lewis."

"Thank you." I shook her hand as I sighed with relief. Bullet dodged. For now. I still had other issues to deal with.

As I left the school and started walking towards my car, I pulled out my cell phone to text Lanie. She had been worried about what was going to happen with this. We worked at the same school, and she was going to speak on my behalf if needed.

Me: Looks like I got a job in the fall :)

Her reply was instantaneous.

LanieCakes: Yes! I'm so happy you got it worked out. Victory drink later?

I'm glad she offered. With everything that happened over the weekend, I definitely needed to catch her up on some girl talk.

Me: Yes :) I'll text you where and when.

After I sent the message, I got an incoming call from Jackson. I smiled as I answered the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"How'd it go?" He asked with concern. He had been just as worried as I was regarding this meeting. He offered to come with me this morning, and even though I appreciated the sentiment, I needed to do it on my own.

I held the phone to my ear with my shoulder as I unlocked and climbed inside my car. "It was a little awkward, but I'm so happy that I get to keep my job. I promised them that nothing like this would ever happen again. God, Jackson, I was so embarrassed in there. This whole thing was so unprofessional."