The Maslow Children

"Do you think we should wake them up?" 

"Not yet! I'm not ready," I hissed. 

"You'll never be ready," James retorted. I hit his arm as hard as I could causing him to muffle his cry of pain and glared at me. 

Ignoring him, I balanced the tray in my hand properly and blew the strand of hair that kept falling on my face. It's damn annoying and not to mention, distracting. I tried shaking my head to maybe, push it to the side. No luck, I mentally groaned and judged James. 

"What?" 

"Can you help me with my hair?" I asked him. 

"I'm not a girl," he answered flatly. 

"Obviously," I said, rolling my eyes. "It's just my hair kept...you know...bugging me." 

"You should use a clip next time," he said, tucking my hair behind my ear. 

"Couldn't find any," I shrugged. 

"Big surprise there," I heard him mumble. 

"You ready?" I asked. 

"I have been for the past ten minutes," he told me. 

"Well then open the door, whatcha waiting for?" I grinned. "That rhymed." 

He opened the door slowly and gently with his foot. We both went in and I settled the tray on the dressing table. While James went to open the curtains, I jumped on the bed and hugged my mum. 

"Mum, wake up! It's morning and guess what," I said to her. "It's your anniversary!" 

She groaned and tried to push me away. 

"That's a rude thing to do to your daughter," I pouted, before shaking her. "Come on, wake up! We made you breakfast." 

"Emily, you're too loud," Dad grumbled as he sat up. "What are you two doing here on a Sunday morning?" 

Mum sat up, yawning, when I gave her a quick hug, "Morning Mum." 

"Morning Mum," James said, giving her a peck on the cheek. "Morning Dad." 

"Morning," he grumbled. "It'd be better if I had a proper sleep." 

"Now, now, Mike, they went all through all this trouble to make us breakfast," Mum said, as James gently laid the tray of breakfast on her lap. "It looks delicious." 

"Thanks kids," Dad said as he stuffed down a piece of toast. He smiled sheepishly when Mum shot him a look. 

"So what'd you two have planned today?" I asked, curiously. 

"I was just thinking your Mum and I could stay in and cuddle in bed," Dad said, giving Mum a kiss. 

James and I exchanged looks and made barfing sounds together. I get it, it's their anniversary, but they couldn't wait until we're not in the room? 

"You two could go to this restaurant called Bonjour Garden," James suggested. "The food there is delicious." 

"How would you know?" I asked. 

"We went there last night." 

"No, we didn't, I would've known," I said, recalling back last night. 

"You were asleep," he said, before adding. "As usual." 

Before I could reply, the room door opened and there stood Aunt Jay with her eyes narrowed at us, "What do you two think you're doing?" 

"Having breakfast with our parents," I answered, nonchalantly. "Isn't it obvious?" 

"Get out, your parents need some alone time," she said, shooing us away.