Chapter 28. Never coming back

(No ones POV!)

After the omnic had shot his laser at you everyone was in shock. The omnic had exloded because it overheated it self by shooting too many lasers.
The big robot fell to the ground with a loud bang that echoed through the empty streets of Paris.
The whole team was in shock, and their hearts dropped when they couldnt see you nor Kumo anywhere.

"(Y/N)?! Kumo?!" Mercy shouted worried.

Tracer ran towards the place where you had been standing only a few moments ago.
The air was filled with ashes, and the ground had big cracks in it. There was a big crater where you stood before. But you were nowhere to be seen.

"Where is she?!" Tracer asked looking qround for you hysterically.
The whoe team started to panic.

"How is this possible? She was here a few moments before the laser was shot!" Mercy said scared.

"Maybe the shock wave of the explosion threw her a few blocks away!" Winston said, prompting the others to split up to search for you.

But it was hopless, they didnt find you anywhere. The team searched for hours, until they realized they had to give up.

"What are we supposed to do now?! Where is she?!" Tracer said to the whole team as they met up. She panicked, fearing that something happened to you, or worse that you would be dead.

"Lets go back to the airship and contact Commander Morrison, he will tell us what to do." Sojourn said.

On the way back to the airship, no one dared to talk. Deep down inside of them they all thought that they would never see you again. They tried to understand what had happened, but no matter how long they thought about it, it just didnt made sense. No matter how much they twisted and turned the facts, no matter how often they thought back to the moment, it didnt give them any answers.

While Sojourn contacted the commander, the rest of the team sat on their seats. It broke their hearts to see your empty seats.
Tracer looked at the photo that hung over your seat. It was a old photo of Genji and you, that you took back in Hanamura.

"How are we ever going to explain this to Genji...how are we going to tell him that she wont return home..." Tracer said quietly.

"You shouldnt think so negative Tracer...Im sure (Y/N) is fine and that we will find her in no time." Reinhardt responded to Tracer, trying to cheer her up, while the others just kept quiet.

Sojourn came out of the cockpit, looking at all the others. Her expression showed everyone that what Commander Morrison said to her didnt give her hope.
She took a deep breath and then began talking.

"Commander Morrison said that we Should fly over the city and look for her, a little team should search for her on the groun...if we dont find her until the sun sets, we will decline her as dead, even if we dont find her body." She was trying to hold her tears back.

Tracer jumped out of her seat. She was clearly upset.
"We cant just assume that shes dead, just because we dont find her!" She shouted angrily.

"What do you suppose we do then?! If we dont find her the chance is high that shes dead. We have to be realistic, theres a high possibility of her body either being completely blown up by the explosion or being burried under all the rubble." Sojourn responded, trying to keep calm.

"How are we supposed to know that?!" Tracer asked, getting more furious.

"I know this is hard for everyone, its never easy when a teammate gets lost. And thats exactly why we need to keep all our energy and use it on searching for her." Sojourn said.
"Tracer, Mery and Winston, you will be the team that searches for (Y/N) in tge city. Reinhardt and I will be searching for her by looking over the city in the airship." She said, splitting up the team.

They all searched for hours, and looked through the whole city, but you were nowhere to be found.
The sun started to set and everyone lost hope in finding you.

The flight back to the base was more than just awkward. No one spoke, everyone just stared down at the floor, being lost in their thoughts. The team felt guilty, especially Sojourn. She had lead the mission, she thought that it was her fault that you went missing, she told herself that she should have been more attentively.
Sojourn spent the whole flight home thinking about how to tell Genji that you wouldnt come home tonight, that you would never come home ever again.
She went over it again and again, but she knew that there was no easy way of saying it.

Arriving at the base, Genji, Mccree and Commander Morrison were already back from their mission.
The whole team stepped out of the airship. Sojourn walked up to Genji and wanted to start talking, but he already knew what was going on.
When he didnt saw you walking out of the airship alongside with the others, he knew that something was wrong.

"Im so sorry Genji..." Sojourn began to talk.

The others of the team began to cry.
Genji just felt numb. He couldnt believe it.
"Shes...really...dead?" He asked hesitantly, not able to process it.

"She dissappeared after a big explosion, we werent able to found her..." Sojourn said.

"So theres some Chance that shes still alive..." Genji said trying to keep up his hope of seing you again.

"Genji...the possibility of (Y/N) still being alive is very low...believe me, we searched everywhere." Mercy said, slowly walking up to Genji.

Tears started running down his face as his knees touched the ground. Mercy kneeked down besides him, trying to comfort him by hugging him. But nothing could make him stop crying.

Genji hated himself for not being able to protect you once again. He would have done everything just to hold you in his arms once again.
The thought of living without you broke his heart. Never in a hundred years he would have thought that the day would come on that he couldnt hug you after a long mission.

He didnt knew what to do without you. Without you, his life seemed useless to him.