chp. 77

after i respond to alyssa, i put my phone away. passing by the papayas in the produce section of the grocery store had made me think of guadalupe - and being the impulsive, social media obsessed person i am, i had to post about her. i mean, come on. who wouldn't post about her? she's the cutest and sweetest little girl i've ever met. plus, she is one kick ass soccer player.

i realize i'm staring at the fruit with an a gigantic smile on my face and shake my head, making myself get back to what i was doing. i probably looked like an idiot just standing there. i chuckle at myself and stop by the potatoes to grab a sack. when i put the sack in the cart, i hear my phone buzz in my small backpack. i take it out to see multiple texts from tobin and two missed calls. i furrow my eyebrows in worry and open the messages to see if something is wrong.

tobs🤙🏻⚽️💗:
why didn't you tell me?

tobs🤙🏻⚽️💗:
were you even going to tell me??

tobs🤙🏻⚽️💗:
pick up your phone

tobs🤙🏻⚽️💗:
seriously. we need to talk

my heart stops for a second. what could she possibly be talking about? as i dial her number, i try to think what i might have done wrong. was it because i ate the rest of her ice cream, only to realize i ate hers by accident and not mine? no, that's stupid. it must be something else. my thoughts were cut short by a stern voice.

"when where you going to tell me?"

"what are you talking about?" i asked in confusion.

"that you might go back to guatemala after our wedding?" she asked, her voice cold. i throw my free hand up in disbelief.

"babe, i've already brought it up about three times."

"no you haven't." she started to raise her voice.

"yes, actually. i have." i was starting to get mad.

"no you haven't." she repeated, making me scoff.

"yes i have, tobin." i grip the handle of the cart tightly, trying not to lose my cool.

"no you haven't. are you seriously trying to lie to me right now? i would have remembered." i hear her yell.

"why would i lie to you?" i raise my voice back in frustration.

"i don't know. maybe because you met someone over there and you want to visit her?!" my jaw drops slightly.

"are you kidding me? that doesn't even make any sense!" i flail my hand around aggressively. a few people start to look in my direction. i ignore their stares, being too focused on my aggravation towards tobin and this conversation. "honestly, it's like you don't even listen to me anymore!"

"that isn't true!" she growls through her teeth. i can practically hear the steam escaping from her ears. she's fuming.

"really?" i scoff. "then what was i talking about last night when we were out with meghan and lindsey? or were you too busy staring at the waitress to listen?"

"i wasn't staring at her! i was looking to see if  she was writing my card number down!"

"mm, okay. sure," i nod my head slowly in anger. i hear her frustrated groan on the other end of the line.

"are you serious?"

"you haven't answered my question." i ignore her.

"no." she replies plainly.