Chapter 6

When Harriet arrived home, the first thing she did was call her best friend James. Yes, James was a boy, but he was the only one who truly listened and understood Harriet. All her other friends wanted to do was gossip.

Gossip had never interested Harriet and James understood that about her. He knew a lot about Harriet. They'd been friends since she was in 7th grade and he was in 8th. While all the other students talked, Harriet read. She loved to read. The other students found her very boring so they never sat with her. Except for James. He, like Harriet, loved to read. So one day, during lunch period, he decided to sit down beside her.

Harriet, who was used to sitting alone, looked very confused. She didn't understand why anyone would want to sit beside her. Let alone a boy. "I thought I'd keep you company while you ate. I know you read during lunch and so do I," James said when he saw her puzzled look.

Since that day in school, James had been the one Harriet always turned to when she had a problem. And vice versa.

So when Harriet reached her bedroom, she reached the phone that was in her bedroom and dialled his number. James answered on the first ring. "What's up Pansycake?" he said.

He'd been calling Harriet 'Pansycake' since the day she asked him what that was. He replied by saying that a pansycake was someone who was a scaredy cat or someone who wasn't very smart.

"Not much. Except for... Remember that boy I told you about? Sebastian?" Harriet said.

"Yea, I remember. I've seen him around school," James responded, "Do you still like him?"

"Yes!" squealed Harriet. She could barely keep her excitement in. "And guess what! He asked me out today before class!" she continued in her high pitched voice which was full of excitement.

"Oh, that's great! I'm so happy for you!" James said in a tone that didn't sound as excited as it should've been. But Harriet didn't notice. She was way too happy.

"Harriet, I have to go. Homework. See you tomorrow at school. Bye Pansycake!" James said.

"Bye! See ya tomorrow!" Harriet said in the same high pitched tone. Then she put her phone back on its receiver and sat down at her desk. She put her earphones in, turned her music on and continued to work on her homework.