Chapter 21

As Harriet waited for James's car to arrive, she planned how she'd tell him. She decided to just tell him the truth.

When his car pulled up, she got in and, just as she was about to tell him, he interrupted her by talking about the last week of school and asking her if she was excited.

"I still have an English assignment to complete," she started, "James, I-"

"We're here," James interrupted, pointing toward the school. Harriet sighed. James came around and opened the car door and Harriet stepped out. As they walked into school, Sarah came running up to them. "Hey!!"

"Hey Sarah, I'd love to stay and chat, but I've really gotta get to gym class. Need time to change before class. See you in Drama," Harriet trailed off.

Harriet then rushed into school before the tears started to fall.

+ + +

Gym was fun today. They played volleyball which Harriet loved. Though she had lots of fun, she couldn't shake the thought of James out of her head.

In Drama, they rehearsed Persuasion. And that certainly didn't help Harriet stop thinking of James. But what could she do, their teacher, Mr. Witfelm had decided to be creative and try something different this year. Instead of performing a play from Shakespeare or some other over performed playwright, he decided to select a novel, and turn it into a play. And so he did, selecting Persuasion. James's favourite book.

Mr. Witfelm said they'd perform Persuasion on the last day of school. Being only a few days away, Harriet knew, no matter how she felt, that she had to give her portrayal of Anne Elliot her all. When they went over the parts with Captain Wentworth, Harriet put all of her sadness, desires and hopes into her acting. As they continued practicing, Harriet started to wonder if she was really acting this sadness and hope, or if it was coming from within. Either way, she channelled it into her performance. Sarah, who is playing Louisa Musgrove, complimented Harriet's acting after class. She was very impressed with how connected Harriet was with her character. "Thank you Sarah," Harriet said as they walked to the cafeteria together.